Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried towing one of my trailers (with about a 400 lb tongue weight) without thinking about the 150 lb maximum tongue weight of my AC receiver hitch. I managed to bend the hitch before I realized my error. It looks like I will have to remove the entire box in order to bend it back and weld it together along with adding additional braces.

Anyone do this? Any suggestions?

The separation of the forward part of the receiver can be seen in this photo:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,295 Posts
wow .. wonder if the factory weld wasn't fully done ??

I have towed for many miles with heavy loads [well past yours] with no issues.

do you have a welder and tools ? if not take it to a local fabricator and have him cut out the bad and redo it with more beef in materials and welding it nice and solid


now that I see yours I need to go look again to be sure I'm not damaging mine or showing the same signs now as again I have towed a heavy camp trailer for many mikes in bad/ ruff trails
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Without being able to get close enough yet to really see it well, it looks like the receiver is made in 2 pieces - a top 1/2 and a bottom 1/2. From my photo, it appears that the forward part of the top piece was never welded to the bottom piece. I don't know if it was made this way on purpose or overlooked during the original build?

I have the tools I need. I am hoping that I can remove the box, bend the top 1/2 of the receiver back to meet the bottom 1/2, clamp it, then take it to a professional welder to have the front of the top 1/2 welded to the bottom 1/2 and have extra bracing added .

PS: I have towed my small trailer for years with no ill effects. It was only a few weeks ago that I moved my heavy trailer and noticed the obvious downward angle of the trailer tongue when I hooked up my small trailer again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
I have a buddy who that happened to on his TRV and so before mine did that I bought a full tube from Tractor Supply and used a cut off wheel to remove the factory inadequate welds and 2- piece receiver, then welded the new tube in it's place with frame bracing. I will shoot some pictures this morning when it gets light out.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,232 Posts
Looks like a pretty easy fix! Thank your lucky stars, I've seen some torn completely off and the parent metal unusable! As you have already guessed, there will be a mad rush to check our Prowlers over! You may be able to put a jack under the tail end and raise it back level, then tack the front until final repairs can be made. Thanks for the pictures, really helped!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
This is not the best shot but I used a piece of angle cut to the width of the receiver and butt welded it to it and then to the spanning angle which is welded to the factory spanning frame piece. It will hold 1000lbs as I have loaded it without my shocks in place with a solid suspension made with square tube.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,295 Posts
looks like I'd better do a very close inspection of mine before I'm out in BFE and have a failure
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top