Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news, I got my tracks installed and it even fit's in and out my garage door! Bad news, my right front axel popped out again! Dam, what's causing that? End of the shaft bad? Thought I saw one time where someone used a different type of clip???
Any ideas I'd sure listen!

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No help yet so............Everyone must be out having fun. I'm gonna try the O-Ring trick and see if that holds the shaft in???

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
No help yet so............Everyone must be out having fun. I'm gonna try the O-Ring trick and see if that holds the shaft in???
I guess you could call it fun, I just got home from a structure fire at a funeral home >:) I've read somewhere about the o-ring trick but forgot where, on mine I expanded the opening of the c-clip a little and it seemed to help. After my last ride I think I'm going to have to replace the seals, got some seepage coming out of the front end.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you could call it fun, I just got home from a structure fire at a funeral home >:) I've read somewhere about the o-ring trick but forgot where, on mine I expanded the opening of the c-clip a little and it seemed to help. After my last ride I think I'm going to have to replace the seals, got some seepage coming out of the front end.
I been there with a home fire 8 years ago Mike, NO FUN!
I tried the O-Ring but couldn't get the clip to seat so I pulled the o-ring out and I tore into it again and did an adjustment on the ring and put it back together. Took it out into about a foot of snow and so far it's holding. Maybe I didn't get it popped back in far enough the first time??? It seemed like it went in easy the first time. When I got it in as far as it would go this time I took up all the slack and wacked the hub end a couple times to see if it would help seat the clip. I then engaged the 4x4 and rocked it back and forth. I don't know, can only test it and see where it takes me. Crossing my fingers!
This thing looks so bad ass with the tracks on that I'm almost jealous of myself :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
It does look bad ass! I wish I could justify the cost of buying them just to play with, not much need for them in my area.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look bad ass! I wish I could justify the cost of buying them just to play with, not much need for them in my area.
I can't say as I can justify the investment Mike :)Fact is my wife got unloaded by one of my Mules back the end of June and fractured her pelvis and sacroiliac joint so she can't do much snowmobiling this year. So I sold one of my sleds and picked up a track kit so I could take my wife out for rides. If you guy's fall for that excuse ya all need help!!!>:) The first part is true but I was hoping to get some fishing done on the big lake this year with this rig, AND STILL TAKE MY WIFE OUT FOR A CRUISE IF SHE'D LIKE! ;) We have 400 miles of forest roads covered with snow that lead into some of the prettiest winter scenery ya can find. Makes winters go by so much quicker.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
400 miles of forest roads sounds like a good enough excuse for tracks to me, we don't have anything like that around here.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Butch, what cir-clip did you use? I bought several AC # 0423-844 for my 700. I noticed they have two different part numbers for a 2010 XTZ. Also noticed a cir-clip for later models at 2.95 each, but that also is used on the ball detent axles. I think you found a good fix! Not sure about shimming the cir-clip with an O-Ring is the right fix!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
as long as you remember .. your out there where few can come to your aid when you have tracks ... and always carry gear to save your bacon if it all falls apart.

BTW do you have a Spot locator ? IMHO well worth the investment for winter riders or hunting / long travel remote guys

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Good point Gary! Be a pain to get stranded in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as long as you remember .. your out there where few can come to your aid when you have tracks ... and always carry gear to save your bacon if it all falls apart.

BTW do you have a Spot locator ? IMHO well worth the investment for winter riders or hunting / long travel remote guys
Gary.........I just tell my wife not to worry if I'm late. I have survival gear, (Bic lighter, fire starter, cell phone, tools, and a hand gun) with me. That's all I need. My wife or a friend will come find me if I don't show up. If one can build a fire you can survive. Most or all of my running will be on unmaintained forest roads. The footprints this machine leaves behind it makes for some very easy tracking. If it's extremely cold I won't be out there! Thanks for the concern just the same :laugh:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
wasn't trying to lecture for sure :) assume you didn't take it that way either [I HOPE]

but after living in Coeur d'Alene , Id. for a nice long while I was ALWAYS baffled by what I saw when I was in BFE remote area's .. warm winter days and folks in light weight gear with nothing to help themselves in emergency .. most with no firearm in cat/bear/wolf country .. hell most with no recovery gear either.

my hunting buds and I have hauled several dummies out of the stuff they got themselves into on more than one occasion and given several DUMB ASS discussions LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wasn't trying to lecture for sure :) assume you didn't take it that way either [I HOPE]

but after living in Coeur d'Alene , Id. for a nice long while I was ALWAYS baffled by what I saw when I was in BFE remote area's .. warm winter days and folks in light weight gear with nothing to help themselves in emergency .. most with no firearm in cat/bear/wolf country .. hell most with no recovery gear either.

my hunting buds and I have hauled several dummies out of the stuff they got themselves into on more than one occasion and given several DUMB ASS discussions LOL

Never to old to learn or listen Gary! Not that it matters much but I have 27 years experience hunting in the high country of Colorado on mules and horses and been in some of the worst weather with heavy snows and white out conditions AND been lost and in dangerous circumstances that I was sure I couldn't overcome!!! But I made it, only because I kept my head together! That is the key, be prepared and keep your head together :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The good news, I got my tracks installed and it even fit's in and out my garage door! Bad news, my right front axel popped out again! Dam, what's causing that? End of the shaft bad? Thought I saw one time where someone used a different type of clip???
Any ideas I'd sure listen!

Getting back on track, I put the axle back in. What I did different this time was I leveled the axle shaft and took the slack out of the CV joint and smacked the end of the hub nut with a hammer. 3 mild whacks! I put the track back on and put about 5 miles on in every type of terrain I could find, hills, angled slopes, ditches, snow banks, 2 and 4 track drive through the snow and down the road at different speed levels and the axle shaft is holding! Speedometer is way off guy's, had it going 50 at less than half throttle. haha! Has great power as it is so I feel at this time no clutching is needed. I'M THINKING THIS THING IS GONNA BE A HOOT!!! Next I need to mod up some doors! If a guy wears a snowmobile suit with full face helmet he'd be okay. When the wind is blowing the powder snow seems to navigate right in your face and lap!!! Not near as bad as I'd thought it would. Not real big on having doors, can't see as well out the sides and it makes for getting in and out quickly a chore! Luving this 1000 XTZ today :x

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
That does look bad ass! Hope that axle hold for you. Did it take out the boot again? I hear ya on breaking down when riding solo. I get nervous just riding a mile or 2 out, let alone that far. That would be super cool. The trails... Not breaking down. I need to justify a small block Chevy install. RD?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That does look bad ass! Hope that axle hold for you. Did it take out the boot again? I hear ya on breaking down when riding solo. I get nervous just riding a mile or 2 out, let alone that far. That would be super cool. The trails... Not breaking down. I need to justify a small block Chevy install. RD?

No Bryan, it didn't take out the boot. I think the boot thing was just a coincidence first time around and was probably torn by a stick. It was just a small hole like something poked into it. I have a lot of confidence in this machine getting me back home. :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
more envy than I can lump in one sentence !!!! .. and I have doors already LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Never to old to learn or listen Gary! Not that it matters much but I have 27 years experience hunting in the high country of Colorado on mules and horses and been in some of the worst weather with heavy snows and white out conditions AND been lost and in dangerous circumstances that I was sure I couldn't overcome!!! But I made it, only because I kept my head together! That is the key, be prepared and keep your head together :)
sorry you said that before and I CRS forgot , good on ya .. a cool head is for sure a huge help !!

I might suggest a good pair of snow shoes strapped on the machine for the winter though :) as one never knows .. Murphy's law has my back LOL

I'd be fun if a bunch of us back woods types had the tracks and met somewhere for a great winters adventure ride through remote areas that the beauty multiplies with the snow levels ... gees maybe in a few years of wishing outloud Mama might see the light LOL

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Congrats Catman! Sounds like you got it! I bet tracks would be a hoot! Take care friend, and have fun!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry you said that before and I CRS forgot , good on ya .. a cool head is for sure a huge help !!

I might suggest a good pair of snow shoes strapped on the machine for the winter though :) as one never knows .. Murphy's law has my back LOL

I'd be fun if a bunch of us back woods types had the tracks and met somewhere for a great winters adventure ride through remote areas that the beauty multiplies with the snow levels ... gees maybe in a few years of wishing outloud Mama might see the light LOL
Tracks or wheels lets do it! I have a 4 bedroom cabin right in the heart of it all. Bring your wife. We have 400 miles of forest roads!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts