Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts, my mechanic says they hear most of them do this at idle and I've put over 800 miles on it since it started doing this with no problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
are you talking about the rattle on decelleration and when holding a constant RPM after accelerating?

its usually the rollers rattling around in the roller valleys. when you get a set of 8 rollers, nine times out of ten at least one or two in the bunch is going to be a different weight. i've seen MANY clutch setups that have had weights that were 1-2 grams out of specs from the others. what happens is this:

when your rollers roll out to the ends of the roller valleys from centrifugal force, the RPMs of the engine turning the movable sheave pull the rollers outward against the fixed plate and in turn pushing the movable sheave inward, if you have 7 rollers that are 20grams, all 7 of those rollers are going to be pushing against the fixed plate with the same amount of force, but if you have 1 that is a 19 gram roller, that one lonely 19 gram roller is not going to be pushing against the fixed plate with the same amount of force. usually this causes the lighter rollers to actually fall out of contact with the fixed plate on decelleration. a lighter roller will try to roll back down in its roller valley before the other heavier weights roll back downward. so what happens is you get the lighter roller halfway down in the roller valley all by itself, not pushing against the fixed plate at all since the centrifugal force is not great enough to hold it against the fixed plate, and the roller that is just sitting in the roller valley with no resistance on it rattles horribly against the walls of the roller valleys. that is the main reason the yamahas use grease in their roller valleys to keep the noise down from roller rattle. if you have a gram scale, and i mean a GOOD gram scale, you can weight match therollers and they'll stop doingthat. when you get all the rollers to the exact same weight, they'll all push against the fixed plate with the same force, and you wont ever have one hanging out by himself in the roller valley not doing his job.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm talking about that squeeking sqwaking noise when the clutches aren't moving at idle.

It didn't do this for the first 400 miles and just started somewhere around there. We were on a wheeling weekend, backed it off the trailer did a short run to turn around and park it when it started the noise, loaded it back on trailer and it sat there the rest of the weekend. Thought for sure something went as it never made the noise before, luckily I had both atv's with as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i believe the squeaking and skwawking is the one-way bearing. mine has done it since day 1. running the bike it doesn't sound bad with the CVT cover on. when you pull the clutch cover it sounds like the thing is about to destroy itself. put the cover back on and it kinda shuts it up. i dunno what it is really but i can say mine does it, and i have 16,000 miles on my bike with no issues at all. so it cant be that bad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree wit Bob and Adam, sounds like the one way bearing, I run it like i stole it and see what happens. After all they are just toys.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been running the heck out of it when possible.

You'd think cat would find a fix for it, if I'd heard that noise prior to buying the Prowler I'm not sure I would have boughten one.

How many other potential customers have heard it and walked away?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts