Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any idea about an acceleration noise in the transmission. It does not do it at all under de-acceleration, but makes a loud noise like a straight cut gear standard transmission. Wanting to know if any one has ever had this noise or have an idea what it could be. It also seems like my engine braking is not what it once was and also it doesn't seem to have the acceleration it once had. It's almost like there is something holding it back. I've changed the oil and installed the synthetic oil. The unit only has 700 miles on it and the noise is getting louder. I checked the clutches and belt assembly and no noticeable problems there, even installed a new belt, cleaned the clutches. I checked valve adjustment and they were within tolerance, checked fluid levels in front and rear diffs, both in range. Thanks for any ideas you may have for me.

·
Registered
861 Posts
not sure but i thought we couldnt run synthetic cuz of the clutch unless there was an additive? No ideas from me, sorry man.

·
Registered
618 Posts
dla67
Sounds like your one way bearing. Put the machine in reverse and try to push it backwards, if it rolls it's the bearing.

Split
Yes we can run synthetic, Cat sells kits that come with oil and filter that are synthetic, I've been running their 0W40 synthetic for quite a few years in different machines. Just have to be sure it's wet clutch compatible.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you still have warranty it should be covered but as always the dealer is the one that will make that decision.

If you've been in your clutches already you just go under the next cover, I'm not sure how much work is involved but think it's fairly easy once you get to it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks triple j ,but after rocking, it seems like it could be in the rear diff

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was going to mention that. Sometimes the noise will travel from the rear diff and sound like a trans or cvt. I've seen trucks and suv's do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Any update?

My new to me motor makes a hell of a racket from the primary clutch area.

Just as you are describing. Everything to the tee you are saying I can relate too.

I also have no engine brake it just freewheels downhill.
The previous engine owner may have removed the one-way.

The primary shiv that was on it was all jacked so I had to put a old stocker on it and am waiting for another primary in the mail.

Just praying it is not the trans issue.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Might as well get it out of the way. I thought that motor already had the trans fixed? They probably did not update it though just put the same new parts in?
Any update?

My new to me motor makes a hell of a racket from the primary clutch area.

Just as you are describing. Everything to the tee you are saying I can relate too.

I also have no engine brake it just freewheels downhill.
The previous engine owner may have removed the one-way.

The primary shiv that was on it was all jacked so I had to put a old stocker on it and am waiting for another primary in the mail.

Just praying it is not the trans issue.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Andy said it had no issues at all. However I can clearly see the motor has been split before.

I can get a bore-scope into the motor what should I pay extra attention too?
What is the part that starts to fail on these 09 tranny's?
It is a real sweet bore-scope I should be able to go anywhere inside the motor.

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go through the oil fill hole all the way across the engine to the last gear on the cluster on the opposite side.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Go through the oil fill hole all the way across the engine to the last gear on the cluster on the opposite side.

Yep this is what you want to do. You can get some better angles if you take the 3 bolts off and remove the oil filler from the motor.

·
Registered
421 Posts
hey john how was mud rally,or are you having problems from what im reading here?my dog tryd to cut her foot in half so we didnt get to go,the woman was about ballistic cuz she been looking forward to goin for a year,then 2 days b4 we have dog issues,what a *****,literally

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Awesome ride and time to be had.
Just a loud noise / rattle from the primary clutch area under acceleration.
My wife told me the prowler sounded like sh!t.
Not what I wanted to hear after all that work.
Will look into it this weekend.

Sorry you were not able to make it.
I looked for you at all the camp spots.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
riddler look at the post ....updated XTZ transmission !!!! I included pics of the transmission and you can see the gear there. Look at the gen 1 gear cluster and look at the left gear.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I pulled the pan and the screen there is no way to look up in there.
There is a casting that blocks it all off.

I tried to get the borescope up through there but to no prevail.
I was able to go through the oil fill and get a good look at the transmission gear set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts