Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 650 2007 Artic Cat and learned that the battery runs down if I do not use it often. So I bought a Trickle Charger and want to share what I learned to make it easier to keep my AC battery charged up and along with it my Lawn Tractor and My 72 Chevy Truck.
I can rotate my Trickle Charger from one to the other with only a small effort in doing so ..

I will explain by a picture .. I got 3 different hook ups comming from the charger to charge up batteries .
1. the connector that you screw right onto the bolts to your battery ,,which I use on my lawn mower and just leave attached and then all I have to do is plug it in .

2. the connector that has the clamps I use on my truck battery and I do take them off and store them in the truck glove compartment when needed.

3-. the connector that fits into the accessory plugs on the dash of the AC and I keep this one in the glove compartment to use when needed .
Note : the accessory plugs are powered by the battery at all times . So it is a direct line to the battery one can use with out getting to the battery..

Hope this helps some others as much as it helps me . GP

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I own a 650 2007 Artic Cat and learned that the battery runs down if I do not use it often. So I bought a Trickle Charger and want to share what I learned to make it easier to keep my AC battery charged up and along with it my Lawn Tractor and My 72 Chevy Truck.
I can rotate my Trickle Charger from one to the other with only a small effort in doing so ..

I will explain by a picture .. I got 3 different hook ups comming from the charger to charge up batteries .
1. the connector that you screw right onto the bolts to your battery ,,which I use on my lawn mower and just leave attached and then all I have to do is plug it in .

2. the connector that has the clamps I use on my truck battery and I do take them off and store them in the truck glove compartment when needed.

3-. the connector that fits into the accessory plugs on the dash of the AC and I keep this one in the glove compartment to use when needed .
Note : the accessory plugs are powered by the battery at all times . So it is a direct line to the battery one can use with out getting to the battery..

Hope this helps some others as much as it helps me . GP

Great topic GOPAPA. I would like to bring up a few key points.

1 When you pick out a trickle charger you want one that also does a maintenance mode. If it only trickle charges your battery you take a risk on over charging your batter

2 A charger that has a desulfate mode is huge for battery maintenance.

This is the charge I have and love it. It has hook ups you can leave on each battery and you can rotate the charger. Just my 2 cents on this. Great topic GOPAPA

BatteryMINDer® 12-Volt 2, 4, or 8 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Conditioner w/ABS-248 :: All :: Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
this is great info, I run a batteryminder also. i run it off my generator when I am out in Glamis. At night I run the lights and gps and radio stereo all the time seems like. SO I run down my batteries everynight.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Good idea to mention, thanks GOPAPA. I often will give away a battery maintainer with new Prowlers. They are an important step to keeping the battery alive in these critters...

·
Registered
46 Posts
GOPAPA- fyi i have an 07 650... which the battery would die if i didnt use it too.. i used a trickle charger to get it started for about 6 months... finally we went on a ride about 3 months ago and the prowler needed jumped everytime i shut it off.. i must of jumped it so much that i blew the main fuse.. changed fuse... so when i got home it started fine (thinking i fixed the problem) for a couple days then it was dead again. so i changed the battery and i havent had a problem since.. knock on wood...

i would recommend just replacing the battery

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOPAPA- fyi i have an 07 650... which the battery would die if i didnt use it too.. i used a trickle charger to get it started for about 6 months... finally we went on a ride about 3 months ago and the prowler needed jumped everytime i shut it off.. i must of jumped it so much that i blew the main fuse.. changed fuse... so when i got home it started fine (thinking i fixed the problem) for a couple days then it was dead again. so i changed the battery and i havent had a problem since.. knock on wood...

i would recommend just replacing the battery
The PO had just bought a new battery a couple days before I bought it from him.. Don't you think that these types of batteries just run down easily? And or the sulfide problem kills them?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

1 When you pick out a trickle charger you want one that also does a maintenance mode. If it only trickle charges your battery you take a risk on over charging your batter

This is the charge I have and love it. It has hook ups you can leave on each battery and you can rotate the charger. Just my 2 cents on this. Great topic GOPAPA

BatteryMINDer® 12-Volt 2, 4, or 8 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Conditioner w/ABS-248*::*All*::*Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com[/ Great information thanks Seth.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

BatteryMINDer® 12-Volt 2, 4, or 8 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Conditioner w/ABS-248*::*All*::*Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com[/ Great information thanks Seth.[/quote

Battery Minder has other chargers that may fit your needs better. This one works for me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

BatteryMINDer® 12-Volt 2, 4, or 8 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-Conditioner w/ABS-248*::*All*::*Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com[/ Great information thanks Seth.[/quote

Battery Minder has other chargers that may fit your needs better. This one works for me.
Thanks Seth for more on this subject of a trickle charger ..I would like to know more on what a person would use the 12 volt 4 or 8 Amp charging on and how it used exactly.. Gopapa

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Thanks Seth for more on this subject of a trickle charger ..I would like to know more on what a person would use the 12 volt 4 or 8 Amp charging on and how it used exactly.. Gopapa

What would you like to know? It has a 2, 4 , 8 amp charge rate. IF you have a deep cycle battery that is deeply dicharged and you want to give it a slow charge rate the 2 amp really gives the battery a chance to recoupe it's charge. Deep cycle batts like to be slow charged and for a longer period of time. The 8 amp gives you a faster charge rate if you need it. I use the 8 amp rate most of the time. I chose this charge because of it's options. If you look it up on the web site they offer a cig lighter plug that will maintain you battery using that connection.

If you are only wanting to maintain one battery you may concider this charger.

I recomend calling Battery minder, tell them what you want to do and they will explain what they can offer and what will work for you battery charging/maintenance needs. Hope this helps.

BatteryMINDer® Plus 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger-Maintainer-Conditioner (Desulfator) :: All :: Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's another option if you aren't close to an outlet to keep your battery charged ... I bought a solar charger panel from Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter plug. I siliconed around the edges to protect it from any water and leave it out in the sunlight and haven't had a problem since with a dead battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts