Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the site and new to prowlers. I recently purchased a 2009 Prowler XTZ with a TE +6 kit with Turner Cycles axles. I had a seal on the rear diff start leaking. I have it all apart except the CV shaft that goes into the Diff..
I did not know if there is a special way to get the Turner axle out or if it is supposed to come out like the stock ones i read about in previous posts. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
no help here , mine are still stock with near 6K miles on it.

welcome to the site , location and signature lines please .. help us answer questions later without having to ask a question before answering

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the site, I'm Not familiar with Turner axles. AC had two methods of retaining the axles, a "C" clip on early models, and a ball detent release on later models. I use a slide hammer on my 2009 XTX (stock c-clip axles). The other type is a push to release, then snap pull out. Others will chime in shortly as this is a very helpful bunch!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's instructions to the second method RD was talking about, hopefully the screen shot is clear enough to read. I'm not familiar with Turner either but I would think the install/removal would be the same to fit the axle properly.
CCF06142010_00000.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hello I am new to the site and new to prowlers. I recently purchased a 2009 Prowler XTZ with a TE +6 kit with Turner Cycles axles. I had a seal on the rear diff start leaking. I have it all apart except the CV shaft that goes into the Diff..
I did not know if there is a special way to get the Turner axle out or if it is supposed to come out like the stock ones i read about in previous posts. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
if it is anything like the Cat stockers you have to push the shaft all the way in. it hits a button that's spring loaded. so while pushing the axle all the way in hole the cv cup and pull it out. It releases the cir clip. there is no description of this in any manual. another fellow on here found that out too. Just can't remember who. they use a fancy tool at AC to hold the cup while pushing the axle in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
if it is anything like the Cat stockers you have to push the shaft all the way in. it hits a button that's spring loaded. so while pushing the axle all the way in hole the cv cup and pull it out. It releases the cir clip. there is no description of this in any manual. another fellow on here found that out too. Just can't remember who. they use a fancy tool at AC to hold the cup while pushing the axle in.
This is a good description, if it was like mine (has the white cup). I had to push it in, then pull it out almost at the same time. If you pull on the axle shaft, it will just pull out of the CV bearing carrier, and you don't want that. It was actually pretty easy once I figured how to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried to push the axle and pull the cup at the same time but it does not seem to help. it moves in the diff about 1/8" and that is it. what kind of tool do they use?
Thanks for all the support in advance. I have also removed the boot and the axle from the cv in an effort to see in further.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have tried to push the axle and pull the cup at the same time but it does not seem to help. it moves in the diff about 1/8" and that is it. what kind of tool do they use?
Thanks for all the support in advance.
Mine's a 2011 and I thought I had read that was when they went to the style I had.

If yours just needs to be pulled out by force, yes, they make a tool that will help you do that. It's like a slide hammer. My google is not working (local internet problem) otherwise I would link one for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what does the axle push on to release. Or are you able to see the area with the axle off the cv shaft?

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Thanks Rob! One of the best tools at my shop is the forum! Excellent Video!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine does not seem to have that in the center. is it ok to use a slidse hammer on it and if so how would you attach it to the cup?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine does not seem to have that in the center. is it ok to use a slidse hammer on it and if so how would you attach it to the cup?
It goes between the cup and the differential.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i will try to give the slide hammer a shot after i get home from work tonight. thanks for all the replies you all have been a big help. are the stock cups tapered on the diff. side because the only lip that mine has is on the part where the band for the boot sits?

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that does help sorry i was looking at the picture wrong

Thanks Ron

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just use a strap tied around the cup and a sledge hammer as my weight with other end of strap around it. worked on pulling Polaris axles out. just swing the hammer to put tension on the strap. My red neck trick of the day.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts