Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to do it. Done. I bought a 4.7X4.7 inch ventilation fan off ebay, draw is a measly .25 amps. Fused it to a .5 amp glass Buss fuse in a 1 1/4 inch fuse holder. Removed my reverse Overide switch and installed a new AC on-off switch. Made 2 brackets from some 3/4 X 1/8 stock and installed a 3rd (middle) vent in my cowling. Took about 2 hours. It works pretty good. It won't warm it to 80 degree's. But it makes a difference by using the heat the engine produces. I have maybe $35 bucks in it, with the fan, vents switch and fuse holder.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I finally got a chance to do it. Done. I bought a 4.7X4.7 inch ventilation fan off ebay, draw is a measly .25 amps. Fused it to a .5 amp glass Buss fuse in a 1 1/4 inch fuse holder. Removed my reverse Overide switch and installed a new AC on-off switch. Made 2 brackets from some 3/4 X 1/8 stock and installed a 3rd (middle) vent in my cowling. Took about 2 hours. It works pretty good. It won't warm it to 80 degree's. But it makes a difference by using the heat the engine produces. I have maybe $35 bucks in it, with the fan, vents switch and fuse holder.
looks good great job.......:)

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Here are a few more pics. It doesn't interfere with the air filter lid at all. Can be removed easily yet. And you have to bend the mounting brackets to contour with the cowling. It may fit easier on the cowlings without the cup holders. Mine was super tight. You can see the bends I had to make to get them to fit inside the cowling. I also added a baffle under the cowling to direct the heat into the fan and up to the vents. I'll grab a pic of that tomorrow. My 50 amp circuit breaker for my alternator just came in the mail. So I'll pull the cowling again in the morning to get that spliced into the alt wiring. Took the wife for a quick spin, she can tell the difference in temp after a short 10 minute ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
If you could build a metal box over the header with a hose to the fan just think of the heat you could get.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you could build a metal box over the header with a hose to the fan just think of the heat you could get.
Thanks Mike, just when I thought I was almost done, you had to plant another idea into my noggin. OK, I'll look in to it, tomorow...

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm always glad to help complicate a simple project >:) I think that's how the old VW's bugs got their heat.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
That looks like a "Project of the Week" LOL, Maybe Denise will let you work on it more!LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RD, I think she actually impressed last night when she came during her "What the &@$* are you doing", visit! I showed her the heat ducting and the alternator, the defroster, the new wheels and tires.
I had to sleep in the Prowler last night, by the way, I should have stopped showing her stuff after the alternator...

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
That is the norm for Prowler People! LOL Any issues with the alternator? Building new brackets now, pick up my pulley drilling jig tomorrow. Keeping busy in my shop!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the norm for Prowler People! LOL Any issues with the alternator? Building new brackets now, pick up my pulley drilling jig tomorrow. Keeping busy in my shop!
No, none at all. Just finished up wiring in the circuit breaker. Had to order one from Amazon Prime. Nobody around here carried it. I found a 50 amp fuse at several places, but wanted the automatic breaker. Its done. Have the battery switch wired in permanently and all the wiring for the alternator and fan, tidied up. Putting the interior back together, now.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Keep me informed! LOL I have a spare volt gage that I'm thinking about putting on the alternator charge wire to see what the alternator is doing real time! It must be doing something good as my lights don't dim any more!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm right at 14.4 off the alternator. The stator was a solid 12.5 volts.
Almost had to call you to see if you could find me an engine today. Went for a long gravel road cruise to test everything out. Got about 15 miles out and she started overheating. The cooling system had an air lock in it. Overheated really hard.I never heard the cooling fan turn on, of course its so damn loud in the cab you can't hear it unless your stopped anyway. Limped it home, burped the system after feeling the lower coolant tube warm up and made sure the Tstat opened. It lost 1/2 a gallon, no damage done, so far that I can see. But I never thought about burping the cooling system after I opened it up for the alt install.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, speaking of headlights... Mine are about twice as bright after the alternator install. Makes no sense because they are fused, but they are brighter! The alternator really works good. I think you can start marketing the kits! Everyone needs one. (there, my endorsement has been made, and I approve this message!)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
The cooling system can be a pain on these! One time I'll burp it once an it is good to go, next time I'll burp it 5-6 times before I get it! Depending on what your looking for in a charging system the set up is by far the cheapest one going! Really it is a good combination, but then again I'm prejudice!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
The cooling system can be a pain on these! One time I'll burp it once an it is good to go, next time I'll burp it 5-6 times before I get it! Depending on what your looking for in a charging system the set up is by far the cheapest one going! Really it is a good combination, but then again I'm prejudice!
I had to raise my front of mine in the air to burp my system,mine didn't have the bleeder in the coolant line....

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Even with the bleeder it is a pain! I've had good results raising the front end also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts