Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
i had this idea floating around in my head now for a while. Has anyone ever tried installing a vacuum guage after the air filter to monitor the vacuum?
my thoughts would be that once a filter hit a certain point of being dirty, a guy can mark the guage to warn him/her to check the filter. I got rid of that crappy factory filter and got a k&n filter. seals so much better and seemed to quiet the sound some on my HDX. i will be checking the filter regular anyway but as we all have girlfriends, wives, kids, friends drive our rigs... i thought this would be a welcome addition (If it works).

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not a bad thought! I don't think a vacuum gage would not give any readings, a HVAC Manometer would do the trick, it is what I've used on HVAC equipment to monitor the filters, same principal, but gage is measuring air flow, not vacuum

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am thinking i may have to try this manometer and somehow plumb it into the dash. I will have to do some investigating on these units. they are exactly what i need but im worried they wont take the vibrations or shock.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Some of the duct work really vibrate ! Grainger Supply, or any HVAC supply shop should be able to outfit you. Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i am thinking i may have to try this manometer and somehow plumb it into the dash. I will have to do some investigating on these units. they are exactly what i need but im worried they wont take the vibrations or shock.
Welcome to the best prowler forum..........I have a 2004 chevy 2500 HD and it has somewhat of a gauge on the air box that lets you know when the filter is getting dirty.....................on your [email protected] filter just make sure you oil it properly they are a great filter if you keep them clean and oiled correctly.:)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I found several on ebay that can be remote mounted, some are liquid filled for vibration. Prices start at 20 dollars and up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok im a little lost i have to admit. I think i have found what i want but the range has me baffled.
I believe i am looking for an operating range of .5 with a max of around 1 wc. I am finding gauges up to 1 wc but others up to 10. with a UTV filter what should i be looking at for a maximum for the gauge?
here is one i kinda like because of the needles you can set for range or warnings.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I would think .5 to 1.0 would be up to the task, keep in mind you are measuring movement/air volume and not pressure. The gage looks good! I found another one on ebay for 9.00 dollars! Let us know how this is going!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
different perspective here

why use those dollars and time when ya still need to check the filter visually and also to make sure it's sealed . it's not that hard to lift the cover . and if it is more than you want to deal with then add tubes and move it to a more accessible place , not to mention cleaner air location ..

NO FLAME INTENDED, just continuing the thought process here

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
different perspective here

why use those dollars and time when ya still need to check the filter visually and also to make sure it's sealed . it's not that hard to lift the cover . and if it is more than you want to deal with then add tubes and move it to a more accessible place , not to mention cleaner air location ..

NO FLAME INTENDED, just continuing the thought process here
This is true but i am not running a stock filter. I upgraded to a K&N filter. it has a rubber outside edge with sealing grease to insure everything is tightly sealed. With this i believe a guage would be useful. I ususally check my filter every 200 miles or so. there was a day on a run that it was very dusty. it plugged up my filter in one ride. If i had a guage i would feel a little more reassured that the filter was still up to task or that it needed to be checked earlier than expected.
here is what i bought.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
This is true but i am not running a stock filter. I upgraded to a K&N filter. it has a rubber outside edge with sealing grease to insure everything is tightly sealed. With this i believe a guage would be useful. I ususally check my filter every 200 miles or so. there was a day on a run that it was very dusty. it plugged up my filter in one ride. If i had a guage i would feel a little more reassured that the filter was still up to task or that it needed to be checked earlier than expected.
here is what i bought.[/QUOTE

Let us know how that works out,where will you locate it at.in the boot that goes to the carb.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from what i am finding it has two tubes. one will go before the filter and the other will go after the filter.
the exact drilling locations have yet to be determined. The gauge i want will be mounted in the dash with remote lines back to the motor. i may use brass or steel lines considering rub points and length. There is alot more info to gather before i commit to the drilling tho

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sounds like your making progress! Big pressure drop thru the filter will tell you its dirty, not a bad idea considering some of the steps involved checking the filter, mine is remove the seats, disconnect the snorkels, and pull the dog house! Keep going!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Sounds like your making progress! Big pressure drop thru the filter will tell you its dirty, not a bad idea considering some of the steps involved checking the filter, mine is remove the seats, disconnect the snorkels, and pull the dog house! Keep going!
RD send me the link on the gauge you found,what is the gauge called.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well i bought a gauge. i got this one over the other because it was a smaller gauge and should fit in the recessed panels on the left and right of the steering column. I got it shipped for 33 bucks so it wasnt a back breaker.
so i guess this is going to be a build thread. here is some pics and info on the gauge i got.
the gauge i picked up is in the lower right corner of the picture.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Should work fine for your purpose! Keep us informed! And we are simple minded, Pictures are needed!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Well i bought a gauge. i got this one over the other because it was a smaller gauge and should fit in the recessed panels on the left and right of the steering column. I got it shipped for 33 bucks so it wasnt a back breaker.
so i guess this is going to be a build thread. here is some pics and info on the gauge i got.
the gauge i picked up is in the lower right corner of the picture.
cat crazy where did you get this gauge at.....I like it...i just like gauges,The wife said I will never grow up.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cat crazy where did you get this gauge at.....I like it...i just like gauges,The wife said I will never grow up.:eek::eek::eek:
picked it up on ebay. the front twists off so you can get to the screw to zero it out. this option actually is what sold me the most. i am thinking i can get some yellow..green..and red plastic see through sheets from the hobby store and create warning zones under the glass. if it doesnt look cheezy lol...
here is a link to another auction with the same gauge. It says i cannot post links becuase i have not posted enough but here is a work around...

put the www in front of this>>> .ebay.com/itm/DWYER-MINIHELIC-II-A730-MODEL-2-5002-PRESSURE-GAUGE-0-2-0-NEW-IN-A-BOX-/231250211101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d796311d

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
picked it up on ebay. the front twists off so you can get to the screw to zero it out. this option actually is what sold me the most. i am thinking i can get some yellow..green..and red plastic see through sheets from the hobby store and create warning zones under the glass. if it doesnt look cheezy lol...
here is a link to another auction with the same gauge. It says i cannot post links becuase i have not posted enough but here is a work around...

put the www in front of this>>> .ebay.com/itm/DWYER-MINIHELIC-II-A730-MODEL-2-5002-PRESSURE-GAUGE-0-2-0-NEW-IN-A-BOX-/231250211101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d796311d
Thanks friend.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here is the instructions on the gauge if you want to read up on it. the pdf version is too large for some reason so here is the work around again...

put www in front of this >>> .dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/2-5000_iom.pdf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts