Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I have decided to sell our house, and property! We plan on putting it on the market shortly. Once sold, everything is going into storage and we are going to tour the USA! Tired of paying property taxes! Neither one of us has any desire to keep working on the house. We have over 3,500 sq. ft. of house for just the two of us! We very seldom entertain as we stay very busy around Michigan! Needless to say, the Prowler will go with us! I'll keep it plated in Michigan so we don't run into any issues in other states! Hopefully, this is our last winter in Reed City! LOL Life is good, but life is also short! Enjoy while you can!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Congrats RD! Sounds like an awesome way to enjoy retirement! Are you going to buy a Toy Hauler Travel Trailer?

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not planning on one, going to open haul! But I'm sure we will finally ( maybe 3 years out!) settle somewhere! We are both in good health, and really starting to have fun! Got to start burning up funds, sure as hell the government ain't gonna get it! LOL

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I wish you the best. You are doing something I wish I could do, but cannot.

7 years ago, we moved to our OK farm to get away from the high taxes in the Fort Worth, TX area. We can afford to live on our retirement income now, but no extras.

Last week, I seriously considered moving to Italy and live in a 4 star hotel for $134 a month. I'd tour the area for something unique to do. My wife actually liked the idea, but did not want to leave my health care (I'm 73). I tire after about 3 hours of physical activity. Like her, I could not leave our dogs. They are like children to us. If we had planned better (and years earlier), we could have done it.

I look forward to reading of your adventures.....

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Maybe one of these days we could try something like that but isn't in the cards right now, we're still doing what we can to keep my wife's parents out of the nursing home. Sounds like a great way to spend retirement!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
BIG AZZ CONGRAT's to you both !!!!!!!

may I suggest you look for a larger toy hauler with very nice [for Momma] living quarters , take your time and look real good as there is some "nice looking" junk out there ... won't be cheep for a nice one but they make them !! ... then maybe find winter property to reside in / home base [maybe a 1/4 acre in Az somewhere] so you can go back to base and "refresh" and do maintenance before heading out again .. drop a 55 gallon barrel into the ground and make a "septic tank" rocked in for drainage ... get power pole with 50 amp service and walla your set.

I'm looking at this with envy here but Grandkids have too much pull on grandma for this to happen .... have to be satisfied with month or two trips

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something we have discussed recently! There is just so much to see and do! Keeping a house and everything related to ownership is not worth it anymore! Building the house ourselves was on our bucket list, but now that we got the shirt (been there, done that), it is time to move on! 99% of our correspondence is electronic, so an address is not needed. Our health insurance allows out of network coverage (small penalty!), banking electronic, and mobile phones! Never knew how much freedom the electronic gizmo's offer! LOL

Reactions: Retired1

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure! Wish you and your wife all the best on your new life!

Is the property taxes in USA very expensive? Is it at a certain % calculated from the value of the property?

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It varies from State to state. I pay 2,500 per year in Michigan on 125,000 dollar value by the state (1/2 actual value)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I pay $935 a year in taxes for my house, 9 car size barn/shop, and 40 acres of property. It is based on some formula related to the County's valuation of my property. We have very little government services here (a decent rural school system, volunteer fire depts - often unstaffed/under staffed, long drive for a deputy response (a 20 mile drive or more), and our sand / dirt road is graded fairly often), but it is far better than the $7,000 a year I was paying in Fort Worth, TX area, notwithstanding the many government services (many of which I did not need or use). We pay no other taxes other than an affordable State income tax and high local sales tax (10.25%) on merchandise

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pretty much the same as in Norway. Maybe a bit higher. Until a couple of years ago there was no property taxes here at all.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Several states have no property taxes. Some have no income tax. I live in a farming community, very little crime, great fire departments, tight knit groups! I pay school taxes, yet have not used schools in over 40 years! Liberals want free schooling, but like everything else, Someone always pays!

·
Registered
254 Posts
sounds like fun. my retirement is to get a chunk of land with lots of trees, make some trails, make some deer plots and mow all my trails like a golf course ;)

taxes have gone up dramatically in nd lately. and worse is the schools are disappearing so we have to bus our kids 45 min to another town for school. feeling like im paying for someones raise rather than the schools.

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want to run around America for 2-3 years, then may just have a small garage/storage put up, and get a small apartment! Heck we may find something we just have to have!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
out west they have "houses" with garages attached for RV ... kinda like add on room to your RV .. pull in [all covered and nice] , open doors on RV and home walk back n forth and they are not very pricey

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is part of our journey, looking at future place to live!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts