Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is an informative video on how to take the clutches apart on any of the arctic cat ATV/UTVs. all of the clutches are basically the same and you can follow this video to help you disassemble the clutches. there is a complete write-up on my website with pictures that is printable. i have a video uploading of how to re-assemble the clutches that i will put up later. vid is in HD in case you want it in HD

·
Registered
291 Posts
Primary is right hand tread and secondary is left hand tread. I think you forgot to say that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What clutch work did you have done? Did it help get rid of the jerky take offs on the 700?
Stage 1,2&3, it help a little but will still do it some.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome video! I have an 06 Prowler 650. Mine doesn't have the threaded hole to spread the clutch. I am trying to just change the belt. what is the best way to do this? Just remove both clutches? Or do I need to tap the hole to do it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 650 prowler clutches should have 2 holes near the center bolt. they use the older suzuki styled secondary, and should already have 2 holes opposing each other pre-drilled. if they do not then yes your best bet is to drill and thread 2 holes, but that requires pulling the secondary apart, and if you are not familiar with that type of secondary clutch i do not recommend trying that as your first time go-at-it. they have rivets in them, and in order to drill between the rivets you see on the outside, you will be drilling directly into the rivet on the inside since they oppose each other. so you have to carefully plan you attack and drill precisely. also the clutches twist in a spiral as they open, so your drilled hole cant be in the way of a rivet as you open the clutch with the bolt, otherwise the bolt and rivet will contact and it will shear the bolt off, and boy that is a tough one to fix! i would just suggest you cut you a wodden block/wedge and drive in between the clutch in order to spread it. cut a wooden wedge about the size to fit in the clutch, and wrap it with a dish towel or soemthing to keep from mar'ing the clutch face up. then you can change the belt out easily once you have the secondary spread open

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 650 prowler clutches should have 2 holes near the center bolt. they use the older suzuki styled secondary, and should already have 2 holes opposing each other pre-drilled. if they do not then yes your best bet is to drill and thread 2 holes, but that requires pulling the secondary apart, and if you are not familiar with that type of secondary clutch i do not recommend trying that as your first time go-at-it. they have rivets in them, and in order to drill between the rivets you see on the outside, you will be drilling directly into the rivet on the inside since they oppose each other. so you have to carefully plan you attack and drill precisely. also the clutches twist in a spiral as they open, so your drilled hole cant be in the way of a rivet as you open the clutch with the bolt, otherwise the bolt and rivet will contact and it will shear the bolt off, and boy that is a tough one to fix! i would just suggest you cut you a wodden block/wedge and drive in between the clutch in order to spread it. cut a wooden wedge about the size to fit in the clutch, and wrap it with a dish towel or soemthing to keep from mar'ing the clutch face up. then you can change the belt out easily once you have the secondary spread open

Well I was able to get the belt changed last night. It only had one hole pre-drilled on the clutch. I tapped it with a 6mm X 1.0. Then I removed the 32mm nut holding the clutch on. I then spread the clutch open using the new tapped hole and was able to get the belt off and the new one on. Although the video was not on my exact model, it certainly helped. I wasn't scared anymore about everything springing out at me when taking them apart.

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
glamis i have multiple DO-IT-YOURSELF videos on my youtube. look at my youtube page and you can see how to disassemble your secondary, and clock or modify it, how to lighten your rollers, how to disassembly and re-assembly of the clutches.

YouTube - how to lighten clutch rollers

YouTube - secondary clutch disassembly clock

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Hey man, thank you so much for these amazing videos!! Truly valuable reference, you rock.. just a couple questions.. do you have one for the primary disassembly.. and I live in Canada but would like to have you maybe do some work on my clutches.. do I remove them and ship em down? or could you send me a kit? I have a 2010 700xtx and would just like to mod mine for some stronger takeoff on the trails and the odd bit of mud (I'm a heavy guy and would benefit from some stronger pull) also, I wouldn't mind adding to my top end a bit.. just want an agressive trail setup.. help my clutches run a little cooler when I'm on the throttle a little harder than usual.

Thanks again for all the help you offer to us on the forum.. much appreciated
M

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is there information somewhere as to what size holes and how many to drill to get a certain weight on the rollers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2011 xtz 1000 from a dealer here in Okla. He told me it had an Airdam clutch. how can I tell without disassembly if its a wet clutch delete? he said the guy send over a grand on it, but talk is cheap. I'm sure it an airdam tho. with me and my wife in it i can stay on my sons bumper. (xp 900) and top out at 75 at about 1/4 mile or so.

thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Airdam, Excellent job on the videos. I met a guy at Rally on the rocks a couple of weeks ago that was raving about your clutch work. He and a friend had your work on 3 rigs.

I was amazed at the engine breaking on a steel down hill....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts