Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Wanted 350lb springs for 08 650xt prowler

7K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  dooxtreme 
#1 ·
I am looking for 2 350lb springs for my 2008 Prowler XT. I bought the Prowler with a cage and 4 seat option and the PO never installed higher rated springs in the back. Now the Prowler sits low in the back empty and way low when the family is riding. Eibach has the upgraded spring and I am not sure who else. I thought about going with new shocks with heavy duty springs but they are out of my price range. Thanks!

#2 ·
Highlifter make heavy duty replacement rear springs for the Prowler, I have a neighbor that put HL springs on his Ranger and is very happy

#4 ·
you can get the springs at Summit Racing , that's what is on mine believe that Jeggs sells them also

#7 ·
What size springs do you get from them? I couldn't find them the last time I looked.

#5 ·
Changing springs on the rear is a real pain in the butt. The coils are to close together and it makes it really hard to remove. If I was in your shoes I would save the money spent on just springs and buy aftermarket coil/shocks. A stiffer spring will over work the OEM shocks.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input. Right now for budget reasons I would like to go with stiffer springs. I was planning on a new sled this year but I spent the money on the Prowler for the family. So right now I am trying to keep the spending down to save up for a new sled. I am thinking since I don't use the prowler for extreme stuff I would be ok with the springs.

#8 ·
What about using the lift kits to help the sag in the rear. Could you just use the rear parts from a lift kit and install it in the rear and leave the front alone? Wouldn't this achieve the results of bringing up the rearend for an affordable price?

#13 ·
I thought about doing a lift kit in the back to level the machine but I would loose travel in the rear suspension. Right now I bet I am sagging 3 inches or so and by going with springs I am hoping to gain most of that back and sit level.

#9 · (Edited)
I bought 350 lb springs .. just measured the ID on the stock and the length .. the replacements were a lil shorter by like 1/2" or something like that, just use the threaded preload collar to raise the difference
as to changing them out .. piece of cake IMHO
and the price wasn't very bad either.
start your search in this area ... http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ings/Coil-Over-Spring-Rate-lbs-in/350-lbs-in/

#10 ·
I bought 350 lb springs .. just measured the ID on the stock and the length .. the replacements were a lil shorter by like 1/2" or something like that, just use the threaded preload collar to raise the difference
as to changing them out .. piece of cake IMHO
and the price wasn't very bad either.
start your search in this area ... Eibach Coil-Over Springs - 350 lbs./in. Coil-Over Spring Rate (lbs/in) - SummitRacing.com
Gary the 650/700 shocks just have adjustment notches on the collar. It would be really easy if they were threaded like the XTZ.

What about using the lift kits to help the sag in the rear. Could you just use the rear parts from a lift kit and install it in the rear and leave the front alone? Wouldn't this achieve the results of bringing up the rearend for an affordable price?
That's a great idea Shane. I did the same on my 650 ran a 2.5" lift on the rear for about two years and it worked great. That would be the best way to go. I have removed the coils off the rear shocks on a 650 and it is hard because the coil spacing is to close to get a good clamp on with the remover.

#11 ·
OOOOPS sorry

Thanks Seth for setting me straight :)

#16 ·
Well I bit the bullet and bought some springs, but I went with QA1 14" long 350lb 2.5" diameter springs for $86 shipped to my door from Jegs. THere were $35 cheaper than the Eibach. I am hoping to have them here by Thursday so I can test them out this weekend while camping. I will let everyone know how they work.

#17 ·
Well I bit the bullet and bought some springs, but I went with QA1 14" long 350lb 2.5" diameter springs for $86 shipped to my door from Jegs. THere were $35 cheaper than the Eibach. I am hoping to have them here by Thursday so I can test them out this weekend while camping. I will let everyone know how they work.
Do you have a link to them?

#20 ·
I received the springs last night and found the new springs are 2.5" diameter vs the stockers at 2" and the length of the new springs are 14" and the old spring is 13". So I went about and cut some circular disk to adapt the bigger spring to the shocks. But ran into troubles installing the new springs. I don't have a spring compressor so I was using a ratchet strap to compress the springs. I could compress the old spring but didn't have enought omph to do the new spring. Next week I am going to try and find a spring compressor. From what I can tell this should work in the Prowler. The clearance between the A arm and the spring is going to be close but I should clear everything.

#21 ·
Finally this weekend I had time to put the new springs on the prowler. Removing the old springs was rather easy using 2 ratchet straps. Using the existing parts I made new spring mounts, basically circular disc with a short piece of tubing to hold the spring in place, to support the larger diameter springs. I used a plasma cutter to cut out the discs in 3/16" plate steel. It was a little PITA to compress the new springs to fit on the shocks. Ended up using 3 ratchet straps to compress the spring. The end result is what I wanted, the prowler sits level now and is capable of supporting of full load without bottoming out. I used the 350lb springs and with just two people in the prowler it is a little stiff but loaded down it rides like before. For $86 I now have a the correct springs in the prowler. I would definitely recommend this for anyone on a budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.