Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well maybe not warp. 52.52 gps, sure felt faster though. I pulled out behind an old guy in a blazer and got her up to 56 mph, that tells me this thing is about as aerodynamic as a billboard. I'm dying for some airdam clutchwork!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wow thats pretty good for the 650. I've only had the 700 at 55mph. But to be fair, I've never pinned the throttle to the floor.
That is good, I dont know what is with my 09 700 it does 62.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Me too I chicken out at 82 no turbo. 56 in a 650 is real good thats faster than stock RZR 800

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I chicken out at 85mph. Hood starts to lift up in the middle.....

Got to love the turbo!!!!!!!!
Scared at only 85 ? Afraid your feathers will blowoff? lol, J/K, I would be terrified. I assume you have an xtz? My first car would barely run 85 btw.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ryan were you banging the rev limiter or was it just not pulling any faster? those 650s are only geared to run about 55-58ish mph. if you were on the rev limiter thats good that means your motor is actually making some power. if you were not on the rev limiter that means your motor is running out of power before you reach top speed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ryan were you banging the rev limiter or was it just not pulling any faster? those 650s are only geared to run about 55-58ish mph. if you were on the rev limiter thats good that means your motor is actually making some power. if you were not on the rev limiter that means your motor is running out of power before you reach top speed.
I have an rmstator cdi so I assume my rev limit is higher or gone alltogether. It ran 56 mph in the draft but only 52.52 on its own. I don't think the extra weight of my cage and rear seats would affect top speed but i'll bet the heavier/wider duro powergrips I put on do. They also killed some takeoff power. On a side note the stock speedo is about 4-5 mph optimistic according to gps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
well the majority of the big prowlers with the single cylinder motors just dont go fast. the cat singles are made to make torque, and they do that wonderfully. the singles peak HP is right about 5700 and then it falls off rapidly. the singles usually rev to 6600-7000 depending on which CDI you have, and honestly most of the singles make less power at 6500RPM than they do at 5,000RPM so when you really get up in the revs the motor is just dying. it really aint making enough power to rev all the way to teh rev limiter with a 1400lb bike on its back. even after the top speed work i do, the motor may or not be able to pull the speeds. my 700H1 after the stage 5+ machining to the clutches, has the ability to hit 91mph, thats what the speed the tires would be turning when the bike hit the 7,000RPM rev limiter, however on the ground, the motor would only pull me up to about 79mph-6300RPM and just stalled out. it wouldn't go any faster cause the motor would not rev any more. the engine had reached its maximum output. the gearing was there to run faster, but the motor would not continue to rev to the rev limiter so i just could not go any faster. classic case of more power needed. a high winding cam would do alot of difference, and possibly some bolt ons but i aint going in the motor just to pick up some more top speed i'm fine where its at. i only did that run as a test, never will run that fast again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the majority of the big prowlers with the single cylinder motors just dont go fast. the cat singles are made to make torque, and they do that wonderfully. the singles peak HP is right about 5700 and then it falls off rapidly. the singles usually rev to 6600-7000 depending on which CDI you have, and honestly most of the singles make less power at 6500RPM than they do at 5,000RPM so when you really get up in the revs the motor is just dying. it really aint making enough power to rev all the way to teh rev limiter with a 1400lb bike on its back. even after the top speed work i do, the motor may or not be able to pull the speeds. my 700H1 after the stage 5+ machining to the clutches, has the ability to hit 91mph, thats what the speed the tires would be turning when the bike hit the 7,000RPM rev limiter, however on the ground, the motor would only pull me up to about 79mph-6300RPM and just stalled out. it wouldn't go any faster cause the motor would not rev any more. the engine had reached its maximum output. the gearing was there to run faster, but the motor would not continue to rev to the rev limiter so i just could not go any faster. classic case of more power needed. a high winding cam would do alot of difference, and possibly some bolt ons but i aint going in the motor just to pick up some more top speed i'm fine where its at. i only did that run as a test, never will run that fast again.
I agree, I probably will never hold it to the floor that long again but it was fun to see what it would do. I'm not nearly so concerned about top end as I am about getting some takeoff power back. I'm debating about either buying a clutch kit or getting your stage 1&2. The only reason why i'm considering the clutchkit is it will be minimal down time since we are riding alot in the summer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree, I probably will never hold it to the floor that long again but it was fun to see what it would do. I'm not nearly so concerned about top end as I am about getting some takeoff power back. I'm debating about either buying a clutch kit or getting your stage 1&2. The only reason why i'm considering the clutchkit is it will be minimal down time since we are riding alot in the summer.
Doug, I would do the stage 1&2 before I would put a clutch kit in. I put a clutch kit in mine
And then had the stage 1,2,&3 done by Adam. if I had known about Adam's work I would not have wasted my money on a clutch kit. just my thought on the subject.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doug, I would do the stage 1&2 before I would put a clutch kit in. I put a clutch kit in mine
And then had the stage 1,2,&3 done by Adam. if I had known about Adam's work I would not have wasted my money on a clutch kit. just my thought on the subject.
I think that's what i'll do. Clutch kits are more expensive and seem to offer less from what i'm reading. Too late to get it before our trip to Land Between the Lakes next week though. I'm the worst procrastinator.:mad:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
RyansCat
What all mods are done to your 650?
I am only getting 48-49mph on my gps.
I have 700bbk, 27" radial mudlite's

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RyansCat
What all mods are done to your 650?
I am only getting 48-49mph on my gps.
I have 700bbk, 27" radial mudlite's
I've got an RM stator cdi that raises the rev limiters and is supposed to give it a little more power, how much is debatable. With the stock cdi it ran about 5 mph slower.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts