Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to pick up a 650 Prowler with a bad motor. Overall its average to good shape. Its gonna be about $2k. I'm just wanting to look into my options before making a decision. I know the 650 ATV engine is the same shell but is the transmission the same and what about the 700 motors? I also have a 1000 Thundercat I may part out so could fix that motor if it would work.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
550,650,and 700 motors are all pretty much the same. The 1000 may be more of a challenge! I think they are put in the frame backwards from the others.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
What year is the Prowler? It's going to limit your choices if it's the older carb model.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I've got a chance to pick up a 650 Prowler with a bad motor. Overall its average to good shape. Its gonna be about $2k. I'm just wanting to look into my options before making a decision. I know the 650 ATV engine is the same shell but is the transmission the same and what about the 700 motors? I also have a 1000 Thundercat I may part out so could fix that motor if it would work.
I know a guy that put a can-am 800 Rotax motor in his..............lol.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Was that Bi-Polar Jim?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Was that Bi-Polar Jim?
Sandcriss......put it in a 2006 prowler he bought a totaled can-am Quad cheap and put the motor in the prowler......lol fooled a lot of people with it.I tried to buy his rack and pinion but he sold it..........it was a F1 Engineering rack close ratio.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked it up today and its an 07. Its actually pretty good shape with soft enclosure and doors. Crank bearings are bad though. I know the crank and one way need replaced. I feel like since its down it't be best to go ahead and re nickle and get a new piston and rings. With gaskets and all thats gonna put parts right around $1000. I can probably get labor done for around $500 since motors out already. $1500 is a little more than I wanted to have in it but thats a completely fresh motor. Just have to decide if I'd rather buy one already complete and just bolt in.

Yeah I believe I could just change the etator out and be fine and even stay with the carb.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
im pretty sure you can buy a bran new motor in the box for around 2500

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
im pretty sure you can buy a bran new motor in the box for around 2500
It would be a hard choice,one good thing with a new crate motor it comes complete with everything but the carb and has all the up-dated parts.and it will have a warranty................several members said there not hard to rebuild yourself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Some of you may have saw my post about needing a motor for an 07 650 prowler. After some info from some people here I've been considering a crate motor. The info I received here was that there was no difference in the atv motor vs the prowler motor. The difference in gearing was in the differentials. For the most part I also was told the 650 and 700 H1 motors were also the same other than the bore and it being efi. Today I was looking at prices for crate motors on arcticcatpartshouse.com and here were the prices I found
700 Prowler -$3200
650 Prowler- $3000
700 H1 atv- $2300
650 H1 atv- $2800

My question is why so much difference in the prices especially on the 700 motors? I understand that covers and a few other things could be different and would cause a little price difference but nearly a $1000 difference is a big deal. Anyone know why this may be?

I'm leaning towards trying the 700h1 atv crate motor. I'm probably going to talk to my local shop ad see what the best he can get me one for is. I just want to make sure its the right motor and same gearing. I would hate to spend $2000 on a motor that won't work.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
That is interesting, let us know the difference between the utv and atv motors.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Some of you may have saw my post about needing a motor for an 07 650 prowler. After some info from some people here I've been considering a crate motor. The info I received here was that there was no difference in the atv motor vs the prowler motor. The difference in gearing was in the differentials. For the most part I also was told the 650 and 700 H1 motors were also the same other than the bore and it being efi. Today I was looking at prices for crate motors on arcticcatpartshouse.com and here were the prices I found
700 Prowler -$3200
650 Prowler- $3000
700 H1 atv- $2300
650 H1 atv- $2800

My question is why so much difference in the prices especially on the 700 motors? I understand that covers and a few other things could be different and would cause a little price difference but nearly a $1000 difference is a big deal. Anyone know why this may be?

I'm leaning towards trying the 700h1 atv crate motor. I'm probably going to talk to my local shop ad see what the best he can get me one for is. I just want to make sure its the right motor and same gearing. I would hate to spend $2000 on a motor that won't work.
Maybe there is a difference...........I wouldn't think they would produce 2 different 700 motors and 2 different 650 motors or 2 different 1000 motors.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
What about motor mount location?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I cant tell you what the difference is but I know back in the 90's I had a Chevy Astro van that someone took my left outside mirror off. When I went to Chevy for the part it was $130.00, I checked with GMC for a Safari mirror and it was $72.00? Needless to say, I bought the GMC and everything bolted and plugged right up. Maybe Arctic Cat has a similar pricing policy:confused:

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Motors appear to be the same, different drive flange on the 700. UTV has flat flange, ATV has a U-Joint set up. Not sure on the transmissions, do the ATV's have a reverse gear?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
What about "Park"?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think any of them had park. I've been doing some part # checks today and I'm not sure either on way on whats the difference. Definitely a lot of similarities but not sure if its enough to work or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts