Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Never had anything this troublesome in regards to finding a battery. Most battery books do not list anything in them for the Prowler HDX 700 and some mention one battery size while another states that size doesn't fit.

So far I have come across

YIX30L-BS and YTX24HLBS The 30 has 400cca abd the 24 is 350cca

So what Battery size do our Prowlers take?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
there is a thread on here [believe FAQ one] about what batteries will work , many of us have changed out to Odyssey's and much larger sizes too .. the battery tray/hole will hold a larger one easily ... in my XTZ i have a 925 amp Odyssey

if going that route be sure to shop around as prices vary all over the place from rip off to good prices ... Odyssey can be mounted in any position BTW .. mine is on it's side

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Prowlers take either the 355CCA, or 400CCA, depending on the year/model. I stay with AGM batteries as they are sealed, and you can mount them in any position. I have two batteries on mine, one odyssey (secondary, and one 400CCA DEKA (primary). I picked my DEKA up at a Farm&Family Home store. I would hazard a guess that your machine has the 400CCA battery. Look in the frequently asked questions on this forum, it will give you battery makes, and numbers.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Keep coming back! This forum is very active compared to other sites!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ended up grabbing a Super start AGM battery from Wal-Mart. ES-TX30L for $114 didn't seem to bad.

Didn't have time to take it on a drive so I went down the driveway and back, then let it sit an idle to burn up some gas. Next thing I know I'm in the garage and hear it starting to run rough and died.

Prowler had over heated so I checked the fuses and found the fan fuse was blown. Changed it out and fired it up, fan came on but didn't want to hurt it so I shut it off.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Good Thing! Overheating will seat the rings! These things are pretty much bullet proof!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure hope so!

Finally took it for a drive down to the Hardware store the other day. Then today my wife and I drove it down to the gas station.

I'm loving this thing!

Something "feels" off like something is loose besides the "play" in the steering I need to fix. LOL Hope it is just the tires. Fan is working good now and hear it come in from time to time. Starting to run a little better too.

Still have to pull the air filter and see how it looks. Usually one of the first things I do when doing an oil change but ran I to other "things" that needed to be looked into.

Really enjoy hearing my wife say "I can drive". :) Soo glad we bought a "utility" instead of a sport model. This one is going to gwt some much use!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Something "feels" off like something is loose besides the "play" in the steering I need to fix.

check toe settings .... factory sets them with about 1/4" - 1/2" toe out ... steering is way off do to that , reset to aboyt 1/8- 1/4" in and it will feel much lighter and much more drivable and will not scrub of the tire rubber in 1500 miles.

also do you home work , a fellow on here sell offset bushings that make a ton of difference for camber settings ... MUCH BETTER and high quality .. maybe one of the guys has a quick link.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Try Rick the Rocket for the bushings. Easy to change, and great bang for the buck! Rick is on this forum BTW. Factory toe in/out are terrible, mine was set at 3/4" out, plenty of tire scrub! I installed Rick's bushings, and it really made a difference. Tightened everything up. You sound like me and my wife with your Prowler! We love it! I bought ours to plow snow (only part of winter I enjoy! LOL), and then found out we can ride just about everywhere! Not unusual for us to log 300 miles a week on it!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Ended up grabbing a Super start AGM battery from Wal-Mart. ES-TX30L for $114 didn't seem to bad.

Didn't have time to take it on a drive so I went down the driveway and back, then let it sit an idle to burn up some gas. Next thing I know I'm in the garage and hear it starting to run rough and died.

Prowler had over heated so I checked the fuses and found the fan fuse was blown. Changed it out and fired it up, fan came on but didn't want to hurt it so I shut it off.
I took and replaced my fuses with re-settable fuses,a lot of guys just change the fan fuse,you can buy them at napa or order on-line,RicktheRocket used to sell them here on the forum.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I took and replaced my fuses with re-settable fuses,a lot of guys just change the fan fuse,you can buy them at napa or order on-line,RicktheRocket used to sell them here on the forum.
all my fuses are now circuit breakers also , had a short that caused total failure to power several times in the middle of nowheresville . robbed other fuses to get me back home but a couple times I had used all my "spares" and robbed the un-needed systems and still dead in BFE ... said screw this and bought enough to replace all fuses with circuit breakers. Also finally found the short too LOL was my horn wire routed poorly when the frame was twisted by trail undulations it pinched the hot wire and shorted it on a bare spot in the insulation and caused total power failure to engine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fremont79, LOL it was 4 years before we actually took our first ATV trail riding. It lived in the yard plowing in the winter, and hauling a trailer around most the summer. LOL

I will have to look into those bushings.

My issues with the steering is there is a slight amount of play between right and left before you feel it start turning. Almost like 2 gears with too much space between the teeth.

Resettable Fuses? Definitly going to look into those!

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
They is play in the steering, between the rack, and universal joint on the steering you will have some play. Stock bushings deflecting will add some also. Ricks bushings really helped on mine, and the factory bushings looked almost new!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts