Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
7,357 Posts
Did the same thing as Don on my floor pan.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Finally got to take my Prowler out this weekend. First ride since the new tires and belt. The bike did great. Ran strong through all the sugar sand in low range "that ate my belt last time" and chewed through the mud with my new tires. Really had no complaints. Only bad thing was the door to my side box broke off due to a tree. That will only take some new hinges and be good as new.

Prowler outlasted a 900 Ranger (broken transmission), , 800 Ranger (leaking belt and bent a-arm, 570 Ranger (swamped from water).

·
Administrator
7,357 Posts
Prowlers are hard to beat!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
well with 3 to 5 feet of snow scattered throughout the land where i live my prowler is restricted to limited roads so it is parked for a few weeks. im in process of helping rebuild my sons 2002 arctic cat cross country 600. he blew his base gasket and filled up the crank case with antifreeze. due to that i believe he is about done with that sled for the season... sooooooo.... we went and picked him up a new to him sled for the rest of the year. its a pretty nice sled, 2006 crossfire 7. we went yesterday on a 3 hour one way drive to pick it up. but if you find one you like, the mileage isnt important. now i have time to fix his sled with no pressure lol.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Finally got to take my Prowler out this weekend. First ride since the new tires and belt. The bike did great. Ran strong through all the sugar sand in low range "that ate my belt last time" and chewed through the mud with my new tires. Really had no complaints. Only bad thing was the door to my side box broke off due to a tree. That will only take some new hinges and be good as new.

Prowler outlasted a 900 Ranger (broken transmission), , 800 Ranger (leaking belt and bent a-arm, 570 Ranger (swamped from water).

you have a post about overheating , was the condition on whole ride or only when in the sugar sand ?? and that might be the reason for overheat in itself. sand is tuff on these rigs especially if digging down into it and not floating on top.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well.......I finally got fed up with the seat removal thing to be able to access the battery. And the previous owners had done a real hacked-up wiring job under there including the winch solenoid and wires that were all willy-nilly for a stereo.......So I pulled the prowler into a semi-heated garage and tackled the issues.

I took everything out under the seat and ran a 6 gauge cable from the positive post of the battery under and up into the under-hood tub and hooked it to a fused buss. then on th same post I ran 6 gauge cables to the winch solenoid, that I mounted directly below the fused buss, and a cable to a remote battery post that I mounted on the side of the tub right above the driver's side front tire. I put in a common ground buss that I ran a cable from to the frame just under the tub. I found a hole already drilled and dremel-ed the area around it clean and bolted the cable there. I then ran 2 other 6 gauge cables from that to the solenoid and the other remote post. I still need to get the ends of the cables covered to prevent possible shorts and to yet figure out the stereo. I am also putting in a battery maintainer that I'm gonna have a male120V household plug end socket (that i've already purchased) mounted inside the cab that I can just plug the end of an extension cord into.

Here are some quick pics.

·
Administrator
7,357 Posts
What is that white stuff??????????????????????LOL, Prowler looking good!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hahaha!!!!! I feel bad for guys with a prowler and no white stuff to push around!!! I feel bad enough that I'd willing to send some your way!!! :)

Still have things I want to do to clean up wiring on it, but this took it a long way towards where I'd like it. Just getting the solenoid out from under the seat, along with all the extra wires that were under there gives a whole lot easier access to the battery already.

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Registered
24 Posts
You’ve got me thinking about moving the whole battery and solenoid up front! We hardly use the front storage anyways. Then you could make an under seat box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
That would be a a whole lot easier to get to for sure!! The issue that I could see is you would still need electrics under the seat as that is where a large amount the factory wiring ends up. The computer module harnesses are there. I guess a guy could obtain matching electrical fittings that would make it easy enough to make a wiring harness to move that all ahead as well........ it would be an interesting project!!

I do know of some that have mounted a second battery for accessories and such up in the tub. Other's have mounted a second battery under the passenger's seat. It seems there is always need for more electrical power on these machines. Even mine, as un-modded as it is, sees a large draw on the battery when plowing snow. I actually had it catch up to the charging system once this year and my rig quit. If I keep the revs up I have no problem, but the little short runs caught up to me!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
you have a post about overheating , was the condition on whole ride or only when in the sugar sand ?? and that might be the reason for overheat in itself. sand is tuff on these rigs especially if digging down into it and not floating on top.

I ran in low range and in 4x4 the entire time in the sand and managed to keep it around 200. Going slow through the swamp and mud, it kept nice and cool. The overheating came on a second ride to which I figured out afterwards that I forgot to put it in 4x4. However, I have since cleaned the radiator more, put on a new radiator cap, and added a switch to turn on the fan at will. Seems to be doing better but I haven't driven in the sand since.

A lot of this started when I put on the 28 inch ITP Cryptids.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I ran in low range and in 4x4 the entire time in the sand and managed to keep it around 200. Going slow through the swamp and mud, it kept nice and cool. The overheating came on a second ride to which I figured out afterwards that I forgot to put it in 4x4. However, I have since cleaned the radiator more, put on a new radiator cap, and added a switch to turn on the fan at will. Seems to be doing better but I haven't driven in the sand since.

A lot of this started when I put on the 28 inch ITP Cryptids.
A temp gauge and a override switch is the answer. I did that a few years ago and it solved the problem. DON~~~

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
well spring is coming. i figured its time to dig the old girl out of the snowbank for some spring maintenance and upgrades. she fired right up which kinda surprised me. first off is the heater mod. its nice when the garage can get warm enough to work in a tshirt lol. but first i gotta get rid of this lake that formed in my garage! dang drain is frozen.

Attachments

Reactions: Paxx

·
Registered
238 Posts
well spring is coming. i figured its time to dig the old girl out of the snowbank for some spring maintenance and upgrades. she fired right up which kinda surprised me. first off is the heater mod. its nice when the garage can get warm enough to work in a tshirt lol. but first i gotta get rid of this lake that formed in my garage! dang drain is frozen.
That's awesome that she fired right up!!! But seeing that snow I ask......."no blade?" :)

I have a shop that the water run off from snow melt has been running in the front door. Gotta re-landscape some stuff to stop that crap from happening!!!

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That's awesome that she fired right up!!! But seeing that snow I ask......."no blade?" :)
i really tried to justify getting a blade but i have absolutely nowhere to push the snow to except the street. im pretty sure the city appreciate the snowblower i have over the blade i wanted lol.

·
Administrator
7,357 Posts
Did I ever mention that I hate Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
well i got some of my playing around done. i hated the headlight switch. everytime i switched from high beams to low it would cause my dash to throw the power steering code and shut off my power steering until i shut my rig down and restarted. also i didnt like the high beam indicator in the gauge. it works but you had to focus on it, so i bought a new headlight switch that doesnt cross over the off position and a new high beam indicator. i like this switch type more. it has the words on the switch iluminated as soon as you turn the key on and the lights indicator light up when the headlights are powered on. kind of a small project but i think it will make night driving a little more pleasurable, and i do alot of night riding.

Attachments

Reactions: Fairmont79 and Paxx

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
That P/S takes a lot of voltage! Good idea!!! I pulled the stereo out of the RZR last week and installed a killer Polaris MTX set up. Had to pull a lot of crap apart to get it in, but it looks and sounds really nice. Gonna toss the old one into the Prowler. But I need to cut the upper X frame and modify it to make it work. Time to fire up the mid welder! I gotta run out and empty Maple sap buckets later. (we make maple syrup). I'll take some pics of the set up in the RZR and the sound bar for the Prowler.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts