Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys engine oils are a touchy subject every body has there own secret. Lets get some of the knowledge out for some of the members to use. A/C is pricey and some times you have to drive out of your way to get it.

What brand oil are you using?
What weight of oil are you using?
Does it have to be ATV/UTV/Motorcycle oil?
Does it need to say wet clutch approved?
Can you use any motorcycle oil that says wet clutch approved?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am using rotella t-6 synthetic
5-40w
Arctic cat says per manual it does not need to say wet clutch.
Only need to look for the api rating on the back of the bottle for the SM certification.

As long as it is not a energy conserving oil you will be ok.

This is from the manual...........................

Although Arctic Cat ACX All Weather synthetic engine
oil is the only oil recommended for use in this engine,
use of any API certified SM 5W-50 oil is acceptable.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Acrtic Cat ACX 5w50 But Im an Amsoil Dealer. Amsoil dosent make a 5w50.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a dealer tech I would not use Amsoil or some of the other miracle synthetics. We have recently been replacing the centrifugal clutches in units with the miracle oils. The diesel oils seem to be fine as the oils rated for compression ignition meet very rigorous tests simular to what high performance and racing engines need. API ratings are very deceiving as they are for the automotive industry and many factors for what offroad engines need are not considered. The A-Cat oil is good and I have seen the prowler engines come in over a quart low and still be fine. If I were to give a recomendation it would be the A-Cat oil or an oil recomended for motorcycle engines from a simular manufacturer. The diesel oils would only be a get by although I have seen nothing to disqualify them. The Amsoil and other miracle synthetics are a reciepe for disaster.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
As a dealer tech I would not use Amsoil or some of the other miracle synthetics. We have recently been replacing the centrifugal clutches in units with the miracle oils. The diesel oils seem to be fine as the oils rated for compression ignition meet very rigorous tests simular to what high performance and racing engines need. API ratings are very deceiving as they are for the automotive industry and many factors for what offroad engines need are not considered. The A-Cat oil is good and I have seen the prowler engines come in over a quart low and still be fine. If I were to give a recomendation it would be the A-Cat oil or an oil recomended for motorcycle engines from a simular manufacturer. The diesel oils would only be a get by although I have seen nothing to disqualify them. The Amsoil and other miracle synthetics are a reciepe for disaster.
I have friends that have used Amsoil Motorcycle oils for years and many miles with no Problems.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great information. I have only used A/C oil but the topic keeps coming up so I wanted to start a thread and get some views. Does it really matter if you use a power sports AKA motorcycle oil that says wet clutch?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great information. I have only used A/C oil but the topic keeps coming up so I wanted to start a thread and get some views. Does it really matter if you use a power sports AKA motorcycle oil that says wet clutch?
Oil is a touchy subject and everybody has their favorite. The "Power Sports" oils are tested to much different standards than the automotive oils and are more suited to the off-road environment. Given our current engines have a wet clutch I wouild say the endorsement is necessary. I do not have a specific brand I would recomend over another. If I had a Kawi, Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha dealer close I would use their ATV specific oil. The oil in my bikes right now is 20w50 Yamalube semi-synthetic. I only run it in the summer months and I buy a few cases at a time. I have had the best luck with this oil in my big air cooled V-Twins and its always on the shelf. The winter oil is the A-Cat ACX 5W50 synthetic we keep a hundred gallons or so in stock at the shop.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil is a touchy subject and everybody has their favorite. The "Power Sports" oils are tested to much different standards than the automotive oils and are more suited to the off-road environment. Given our current engines have a wet clutch I wouild say the endorsement is necessary. I do not have a specific brand I would recomend over another. If I had a Kawi, Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha dealer close I would use their ATV specific oil. The oil in my bikes right now is 20w50 Yamalube semi-synthetic. I only run it in the summer months and I buy a few cases at a time. I have had the best luck with this oil in my big air cooled V-Twins and its always on the shelf. The winter oil is the A-Cat ACX 5W50 synthetic we keep a hundred gallons or so in stock at the shop.
What service intervals do you guys fallow for
Prowler with 10W40 SAE?
Prowler with ACX 5E50?

Mile/Hours???

·
Registered
20 Posts
What service intervals do you guys fallow for
Prowler with 10W40 SAE?
Prowler with ACX 5E50?

Mile/Hours???
If its dirty change it. If it gets contaminated with water change it. I change in the spring to 20W50 and late fall to 5W50. My oil never really gets a chance to get dirty and I dont go in water or mud that will get to the axles. We use this unit to check cattle year round and you can always drive around the deep stuff.

On a side note we have had units come in the shop with little or no oil in the cases and with a change of oil are doing fine. We also have owners who after a couple of years come in and say they cant find the dip stick and could we change the oil. The Prowler engines are very reliable even with poor maintenance so any reasonable change interval should be good. The air filters are another over looked area as we see very dirty filters in the Prowlers. My unit has had the K&N installed and it is worse than the factory filter about getting cloggged.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I run Arctic Cat ACX full synthetic and change it when it starts looking bad.. about every 3 or 4 hundred miles. I keep a really close eye on my oil and my diff fluid as I do tend to run in the deep stuff somethimes and I don't want to risk harming anything. I use AC oil filters too.. the oil and filters are crazy expensive but its what the engine was made to run so I stay with it. I wash and re-oil my air filter every time I take it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
300 mile interval, thats ridiculous. Ive put on 200 miles in one day. I change mine once a year, usually about 1000-1500 miles. I have never had to add oil between changes and it looks the same coming out as it does going in.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, mine looks good coming out too.. I guess I probably change my diff fluid more than my oil but it gets changed quite a bit.. more than necessary i'm sure but I guess i'm just paranoid.. lol I find oil changes are the easiest way for me to keep an eye on the engine to make sure things are running the way they should be. I'll probably slack off when I get a few more miles on it and am confident in reliability. It gets used pretty hard sometimes in the mud and this is my first Arctic Cat so I'm just getting to know it.. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just check the diff oil after every ride to see if there's water in it. (The front is always milked so it gets changed a lot, all new seals and it still leaks, back has been good since seal change.)

Oh and I use AC wet clutch oil in the motor but Im not too picky about the gear oil. Air filter gets cleaned once a year as well, but we dont have much for dust and my snorkels pretty much eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, I had problems before my seals were done with milky diff oil.. haven't checked yet after the first ride with new seals and extended breathers.. I snorkeled mine too but a lot of the areas I ride tend to get dusty.. in between mud holes.. hehe other than diffs sounds like you've had a pretty solid reliable machine?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The motor has been rock solid, but Ive had alot of axle issues, All my own doing from lifting it so I cant really complain. The only real issue besides a leaky front diff has been one throttle cable and weak tie rods (which are easily fixed).

·
Registered
20 Posts
The motor has been rock solid, but Ive had alot of axle issues, All my own doing from lifting it so I cant really complain. The only real issue besides a leaky front diff has been one throttle cable and weak tie rods (which are easily fixed).
We replace alot of broken axles and the new updated (CV painted white) axles are even worse. We even have had a few with both rear axles broken. Im sure they both broke at the same time.;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts