Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This accordion looking thing is attached to a hose on top of my head box and zip tied to the frame. Never seen one before but it appears to be broken and leaking diff fluid/gear oil. I suppose I should replace it, but I don't know what it is called or what it's purpose is. Thanks for the help guys, it's awesome for a dummy like me to be able to find good help just a post away!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
That's a bladder for the differential fluid. As the fluid heats it expands, the bladder will help keep pressure from building up in the diff. It shouldn't be leaking though, it should all be sealed to keep water & mud out when ya hit that deep hole. Your gear fluid should be a 1/2" below the fill hole.

Here's a couple links to a free service manual you can download, it might help answer some of your questions and correct me when I give the wrong one!

Update: I just looked at my manual again and it says 1" below the fill hole, not much in there about the bladder that I could find.

https://support.countrycat.com/?taxonomy_59981_taxa%5B%5D=8f18fd08-b748-4ce3-b4c2-3c87a07fb7a0&taxonomy_59981_taxa%5B%5D=773b4532-4041-4ae7-acda-d4e91dca08b2&taxonomy_59981_taxa%5B%5D=773b4532-4041-4ae7-acda-d4e91dca08b2&feed=recent

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you mlh. It's leaking because there is a crack in the rubber. I didn't see the bladder on the pdf manual I downloaded. Looks like I need to order a new on. As far as I have seen, mlh you appear to be my closest neighbor. I'm in Topeka kansas .

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Not too many from around this area, I was in Topeka for work a couple months ago. I searched a couple manuals from different years and the only reference to the bladder in the area about changing the diff fluid.

"NOTE: If the lubricant is contaminated with water,
inspect the drain plug, fill/level plug, and/or bladder."

There's a thread on here about Arctic Cat changing the fluid level because it was causing diff seals to leak. Some played around with adding catch cans. There's even a Youtube video showing how some are just packing the diffs with grease, seemed like too much work for me to add all the zerks!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
wow a grease pack v/s oil , sure not something I would do for far too many reasons JUST ONE MANS OPINION

BTW ... do a search in the archives about the bladders ... we had some great conversations about this and what to do to improve the oil dumping a few years ago worth reading

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
wow a grease pack v/s oil , sure not something I would do for far too many reasons JUST ONE MANS OPINION
I never would either! For mud boggers it might be alright to keep moisture out but for those of us who ride trails and drive at higher speeds I think it would spell disaster!

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
It is amazing how much gear lube is migrated to the bladders! I moved mine to a higher location so I could see them better in case of a leak. I had one crack and it oozed lube for a long time! Hot Too! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Thank you mlh. It's leaking because there is a crack in the rubber. I didn't see the bladder on the pdf manual I downloaded. Looks like I need to order a new on. As far as I have seen, mlh you appear to be my closest neighbor. I'm in Topeka kansas .
Looks like I'll be heading to Topeka in February, bought tickets for the family to see Tim Allen at the Topeka Performing Arts Center. What's good to eat around that area?

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
I was station at Forbes AFB back in the 70's! Loadmaster on a C-130E model!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
That Hercules looks like a pretty good size cargo plane!

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
They are, until you put a C-17 next to it! Still you could put a C-130 into a 3,000 ft. un-improved runway.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
I did something similar and it seemed to work. I found a catch can that has two 1/8" NPT ports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts