Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was just wondering if anybody has been running anything else other than the Arctic Cat friction modified oil... I don't have any problem with the AC oil its just expensive... 10 dollars for 9oz's of oil!! I have the turf saver rear diff.. was thinking about going with a synthetic so I can maybe lower my running diff temps..

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I run Amsoil Severe gear in my XTZ 1000. No turf saver though. This is by far the best stuff I have found.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I know my service manual says 80w/90 Hypoid gear oil. Somebody told me that there basically wasn't any difference between 75w/90 and 80w/90. So I bought a semi-synthetic 75w/90 gear oil from Walmart. Can anybody tell me if I should have any issues with this stuff? I don't recall it saying anything about Hypoid on it. Never heard of that.

I've thought of running the Amsoil, but somebody told me they change their gear fluid so often they don't worry about running the expensive synthetics. Was just wondering what you guys thing about that?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I am not an expert on this. What I can tell you is that when I run my XTZ and then check the temperature at the rear diff cover or the axle stubs it is 255 degrees Fahrenheit. That's a lot of friggin heat. I run the Amsoil Extreme and it has never broken down and I have never had a rear diff failure with 120 rwhp going through it.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I run Amsoil Severe gear in my XTZ 1000. No turf saver though. This is by far the best stuff I have found.
It sure is GREAT stuff really holds up at high temps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts