Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this depends on where you live and what type of riding you are doing but I thought it might be helpful if people posted some lists of the gear that they carry when riding. This will help some people be better prepared instead of being “that guy“. For example, list gear for when you’re stuck, List of tools that you carry, first aid kit, survival gear, etc....

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house few beers

use the search feature and look for a thread that has a ton of info on that very subject

also you'll find that it differs greatly by the type of terrain of the riders and how many go out over prepared and many way under prepared

minimum is a tow rope or strap , a GOOD tire plug kit , a small electric air pump [the slime ones work great and are very small [remember emergency size]
some items required by many states .. fire extinguisher , shovel [GI type minimum usable IMHO ] and in some states water bucket [collapsable is fine ]

now it goes very different from there woods riders / hunters might have a bunch of recovery gear [I do and probably way too much] go find that threads about the subject as it's an interesting read.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Welcome Fewbeers! Tool kit that will handle minor repairs, first aid kit, rain gear, tow rope, 2 quarts coolant, 1 quart oil, drinking water/snacks/energy bars, GPS, cell phones (2), Tire plugs/air compressor, and for road riding my AAA Road service card! LOL. We ride mostly trails around our area, and a cooler with cold drinks, and lunches are included. We are pleasure type riders, and do not trail blaze new routes!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey Fewbeers.........Welcome!! I asked a similar question not long ago and it really does depend on what you're gonna be doing. While RD isn't doing any trail blazing, I asked because that is what I'm actually preparing and hoping to get at this coming summer. Opening up a very neglected trail into the heart of the local Rockies, to make access to the Gargantua Cave system a whole lot easier than it just became because of trails from the other side closed down to motorized vehicles. So i'm one that will have a list of things that include a fair amount of recovery stuff, straps, snatch blocks, extra cable, and a winch for the back end. As well as chainsaws, axes, picks, big sledge hammer (for rock breaking), water, coolant, oil, tools to be able to at least do a clutch, a lithium jump pack (for boosting a dead machine), spare fuses, a small floor type jack, a spare tire along with a plug kit & pump, couple jugs of fuel, and then the usual of 1st aid, lunches, and so on......If worst came to worst it would be a 3.5 to 4 mile hike back out to where I would have the base camp. Anyway.....it's kind of an ongoing thing for me. I just know it's a bummer to be caught short!!!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hey Fewbeers.........Welcome!! I asked a similar question not long ago and it really does depend on what you're gonna be doing. While RD isn't doing any trail blazing, I asked because that is what I'm actually preparing and hoping to get at this coming summer. Opening up a very neglected trail into the heart of the local Rockies, to make access to the Gargantua Cave system a whole lot easier than it just became because of trails from the other side closed down to motorized vehicles. So i'm one that will have a list of things that include a fair amount of recovery stuff, straps, snatch blocks, extra cable, and a winch for the back end. As well as chainsaws, axes, picks, big sledge hammer (for rock breaking), water, coolant, oil, tools to be able to at least do a clutch, a lithium jump pack (for boosting a dead machine), spare fuses, a small floor type jack, a spare tire along with a plug kit & pump, couple jugs of fuel, and then the usual of 1st aid, lunches, and so on......If worst came to worst it would be a 3.5 to 4 mile hike back out to where I would have the base camp. Anyway.....it's kind of an ongoing thing for me. I just know it's a bummer to be caught short!!!

might want to look at this rack for your style outings [much like mine except my long outings are usually long distance] contains the gear nicely only issue is you have to weld in a sub frame or better said mounting brackets or it will punch holes in the wanna- be bed.

Our Medium Racks | Colorado Rugged Racks

·
Registered
237 Posts
might want to look at this rack for your style outings [much like mine except my long outings are usually long distance] contains the gear nicely only issue is you have to weld in a sub frame or better said mounting brackets or it will punch holes in the wanna- be bed.

Our Medium Racks | Colorado Rugged Racks
Which rack do you have? Or did you build your's yourself?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine is fairly limited as my adventures are usually not very far but the conditions are rather harsh on the machine riding in sand, mud, and high levels of water during the summer months. My typical contents include a waterproof box with the basic tools to fix most items on the Prowler, cell phone, chargers, jumper cables, tow strap, snatch block for the winch, clevis, extra fuses, goggles for dry times, gloves, tire plug kit and emergency compressor, rain coat, and finally most important of all toilet paper. Oh yeah, always have a cooler with cold beverages and some snacks. In my opinion, my winch has been the single best thing on my Prowler.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Which rack do you have? Or did you build your's yourself?

I have the one shown in the lower picture with custom modification of a closing gate on the back that doubles as a flat shelf when lowered ... use it for a table or BBQ shelf or repair shelf , when not loaded for a trip it's a containment for my Border Collie ... the lowering gate is expanded metal just like what it's made with

the mounting plate is needed I mentioned , need not ask how I know LOL ..... ok ok here goes the story .. I didn't do this when I bought it and now have four busted out corners where the rack punched through the bed .. I should have known better but wasn't "planning" on loading it on the upper shelf heavy , well that part didn't work out on a long outing LOL so now need to buy a inner bed and bace/mount the rack properly under the bed

Reactions: Stump426

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
When I'm solo I carry pretty much what everyone else has. When the wife is with, I ditch all my stuff for her blow dryer, microwave, washer & dryer and full size closet mirror. And the Budlight gets thrown out for Coor's..... oh boy, I love my solo rides.........

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
When I'm solo I carry pretty much what everyone else has. When the wife is with, I ditch all my stuff for her blow dryer, microwave, washer & dryer and full size closet mirror. And the Budlight gets thrown out for Coor's..... oh boy, I love my solo rides.........

if that wasn't the truth it would be very funny .... not to forget the sun reflector screen from you car's window shade so you can rig up a sun reflector for the passenger side of the rig , six tubes of different sun screens, and assortment of Mosquito repellants cause one don't work for all bugs LOL

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
I think Bryan has the best plan! LMAO

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link Gary. It’s always good to refresh this topic as someone always has a good suggestion to add to your kit. I had to install a heater in mine so my wife would come along. Now I actually like having the heat. (And the wife lol).
Hey Paxx, Here’s a picture of my rear winch. It’s only a 3000 pound, in my opinion, too small for a prowler, but I carry plenty of snatch blocks, pulleys, etc. I had to reverse the direction of the winch to get it oriented the way I wanted. It’s mounted to the frame just above the rear receiver.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the link Gary. It’s always good to refresh this topic as someone always has a good suggestion to add to your kit. I had to install a heater in mine so my wife would come along. Now I actually like having the heat. (And the wife lol).
Good answer!!!!! :)

Hey Paxx, Here’s a picture of my rear winch. It’s only a 3000 pound, in my opinion, too small for a prowler, but I carry plenty of snatch blocks, pulleys, etc. I had to reverse the direction of the winch to get it oriented the way I wanted. It’s mounted to the frame just above the rear receiver.
Cheers
That looks great. Did you make your own mount or are using one that is prefab. I'm wondering how to mount the fairlead........ or maybe the fairlead is mounted right on the winch? I was looking at something like one of these. They are actually AC Wildcat receiver mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Instead of booster cables, I now carry one of those lithium booster packs. It’s good for boosting the cat as well as other devices. I also carry a highlift Jack and folding ramps in the winter. Getting stuck in 4 feet of snow sucks. I’m looking at getting tracks next winter.
And as for the rear winch,
Paxx, I just use the mounting plate that came with the winch. The fairlead mounts onto the plate. It’s wired to my second battery.
I had to remove that ‘make up’ kit underneath the passenger seat so the battery would fit. I tend to do a lot of winter driving and use a lot of accessories. The heater, pump, fan, lightbar can really tax the system. Here’s some pics.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Instead of booster cables, I now carry one of those lithium booster packs. It’s good for boosting the cat as well as other devices. I also carry a highlift Jack and folding ramps in the winter. Getting stuck in 4 feet of snow sucks. I’m looking at getting tracks next winter.
Paxx, I just use the mounting plate that came with the winch. The fairlead mounts onto the plate. It’s wired to my second battery.
I had to remove that ‘make up’ kit underneath the passenger seat so the battery would fit. I tend to do a lot of winter driving and use a lot of accessories. The heater, pump, fan, lightbar can really tax the system. Here’s some pics.
WTF! Someone actually wired something and it looks great! LOL I love neatly bundled wires! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey, couple things Fewbeers...........Thanks for the pics!!!! So.......... what part of BC are you in? I'm in the SW corner of Alberta. I know that I could search here and find a double battery installation and how some have done it, but like RD.......WOW......nice clean job you did and so I'd like to know how you isolated/and wired up your extra battery. I assume that photo is showing it's own fuse panel - looks to be mounted in the under hood storage? - and just how all you did it.......I'll have to look to see where I could mount another battery on my 2010 XTZ......under my passenger seat is the gas tank........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2nd battery.....

I’m using two small deep cycle batteries. The second one I mounted on top of the gas tank underneath the passenger seat. You can see the gold coloured battery isolator mounted on the frame. It’s a standard automotive isolator. It’s not one of the new “smart“ electronic ones, but I had this one kicking around my garage. There’s three terminals on this isolator. The centre terminal, usually goes to the alternator but in this case it goes to the rectifier. ( on mine it’s the red wire underneath the lower front of the existing driver side battery). This puts out about 14 V when the engine is running. The right side terminal on the isolator goes to the positive of the second battery. The left side of the isolator I have left open, but you could connect the positive of the original battery to this. It would be redundant in this case because the original battery is already getting a charge from the rectifier. I ran (+) and (-) 8 gauge wire up to the front compartment as you can see in the picture. It’s a simple set up really, The positive goes through a 70 amp fused disconnect switch, Then threw a bluesea fuse panel , Then the wires run to the relays which runs to the switch in the dash. The switches are all connected to the ignition 12 V supply. So there’s nothing to kill the battery when the switch is not on. The panels are actually mounted on the back of a plastic license plate that I spray painted black. Electrical is not my forte so there’s probably a better way of doing this. The rear winch is connected directly to the second battery and the winch electronics are in the back. You can also see the 28K BTU heater, 2 snorkel’s, and the dual horns under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah, Paxx I’m in the Okanogan Valley. South central BC. Just above north central Washington for the rest of you guys

1 - 20 of 42 Posts