Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Currently running a 2007 650H1, and happy... but think I would be happier with a 1000.

I read alot of things and worry about reliability with the 1000 prowlers. There are tons of 2009s for sale around me but something tells me to stay away.

Can someone fill me in on the issues, and are they fixed in later years? I want to buy a used prowler as a bit of an upgrade, and after the smoke clears spend the cash on a wildcat or a more sport sidexside.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Im not an expert on them but I would buy an 2011 but for sure a 2012.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My '10 is great, had a gear face hardning issue but was covered under warrenty.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
my '09 hasn't been to bad a rig .. lil over 2500 on it so far, bought late '09.. but do have a howling from the gear case starting at the end of season last year that needs looking into before ride season starts soon .. finally getting to spring up this way , snow melt in full swing and dust already showing on low elevation roads .. short swing from snow to mud to dust :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
the 09 and early 10 had a lot of inheirant problems . main thing being very poor oiling system and low pressure . the late 10s and up had a competely redesigned case and internals the boosted the oil pressure to over50# and provided pressrized oil the the transmission gears instead of just spash cooling . i wouldnt have another 09 given to me as a door prize!!!:mad: search some of my threads on here i havedone a lot of research and it has cost me dearly to find of what i have shared about the 09s.

if your in the market buy as new of one as you can get . you will save your self alot of headache and $$$ . a few guys here have had some good luck with their 09s but they are all ticking time bombs its not a matter of ''IF it will crap the transmission out but WHEN!

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
oh gee thanks LOL ... but I have been here long enough to see a bunch of it .. think mine is just a matter of time also, but so far an ok rig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really appreciate the input. There is a 2010 I am considering since it's priced right.. but I want to have a reliable unit so I might just pass. With the cost of the 2011s 12s I am getting close to "new" pricing.

Decisions! I really like the 650.. but I need something with better trail/rock/climbing abilities. The wildcat and rzrs are starting to look appealing if I'm going to spend this much! Hopefully a decently priced 11 shows up sometime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love my 650 as well... just sucks always getting left behind on the gravel roads traveling to the trails we ride.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have the 650 as well mostly trails and mud plenty fast enough and i love it. Lots of my freinds still have quads and when you help carry beverages NOBODY leaves you behind:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts