Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just go my Prowler back from the ATV mechanic and found out the motor is shot. The cam chain is bad and stiff the cam lobs are worn along with the rockers. The cam sprocket is bad and the rings are bad. What should I do? Should I find a new motor or rebuild the one I have. If I rebuild it should I put a big bore kit in it. What would be the cheapest and the best fix for my problem.
2006 XT 650H1 with 2406miles on it

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Install the Speedwerx big bore kit, goes from 650 to 700. You choose what compression ratio you want...about $700 and then you know what you have in it.

Click this link for the kit
Merchant-Level Store Login

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will that Speedwerx kit come with a new head and cylinder
and have you ever heard of the timing chain gear on the crank being worn out

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have never heard of that happening on these engines. What do they think happened, a stiff timing chain make the sprocket and the teeth on the crank go out? There has to be a reason behind it to cause that to happen because your ride doesn't have that many miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy said it jumped time ??? I change the oil every third or fourth riding trip . I have never had the valves adjusted until now (waste of $200) Now I'm looking for options of what to do

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I get the 700 big bore(12:1) what jetting will I put in with my stock carb

·
Registered
682 Posts
I bought my big bore kit from Hunterworks . I did go ahead and spring for the big carb also. It really brought the xt to life.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Dann what kind of oil you been running? I don't believe that much stuff is wore out. I say bullshit. Ya if it jumped time it will need parts and a valve job maybe a piston. Did you see the parts that were wore out? Was it running when you took it in. Did it go in just for a valve adjustment and that is when he told you all this stuff is wrong with it? Can you give us a little more info. Rings bad? Was it burning oil? Did it have lots of blow by? If you post a picture of the spark plug I can probably tell you if the rings are bad.
Also 12 to 1 is pushing it on the compression with pump gas as I am sure you know. If you get a batch of bad pump gas or go to a lower altitude without jetting you could be in for more trouble.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree Chris. It shouldn't be worn out with that low of mileage. I would be wanting to see the worn out parts, and asking questions.Or maybe , Dann, is jsut trying to justify big bore kit?Hmmm?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every oil change has been with Arctic Cat oil and filter. I'll post a bunch of pics of all the motor parts . When I sent the Cat out it would run at an idle but under any load it would bog down and die. As far as blow by and burning oil ,minimal.
HISTORY OF PROBLEM :
Sep. 09 AC running fine ,brother-in law trying to cut doughnuts AC shuts down, thought it was out of gas tow back to camp fill-up ,still won't run pack up go home.
Oct. 09 winterize all toys Stabil in fuel and bring AC in garage
Nov. 09 go to prowlertalk.net (non-member) read post of my problem, conclusion at this time COIL. order new coil and install still won't run
DEC.09 to much BS don't touch AC
Jan.10 Pull carb clean and check replace plug fiddle with carb adjustments get it to idle
order and install new K&N and FMF pipe still got idle no running under load
Feb.10 send AC to shop get bad news tear down motor to check for my self. POST on prowlertalk.net and now we are at now
If you go to members pics all post the pics

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I agree with Chris (eeac) there is another problem with oil starvation after seeing the photos. Could be oil pump gear or maybe oil pick up problem. If those parts look like that the main and rod bearings are gonna need some help too. The hole thing is contaminated with metal after seeing the wear and that timing chain.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't pull the motor yet. I have never had to split the case on a motor and believe this is out of my comfort level . The top end is one thing it's pretty self explanatory.I saw on Babbit's online a "engine" (I think it's the whole stock motor) for $1985.00 or close to that price. Should I send the motor I have out to get fix or just buy a new one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check on that price, I had a couple of customers see that price, but when they tried to get it they couldn't, babbit's told them they couldn't get it or something like that.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I haven't pull the motor yet. I have never had to split the case on a motor and believe this is out of my comfort level . The top end is one thing it's pretty self explanatory.I saw on Babbit's online a "engine" (I think it's the whole stock motor) for $1985.00 or close to that price. Should I send the motor I have out to get fix or just buy a new one.

I would send cat to sandchris and have him put an 800cc rotak motor with turbo on it. His runs great.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts