Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typed in key in the search function and nothing pulled up. I was wondering if you guys have had spare keys made at your local hardware store, etc. or did you have to go to an Arctic Cat dealer to get a spare?

I went to my local Warmart, but they didn't have anything shape wise that would match up. Haven't checked Home Depot or Lowes yet? Maybe a locksmith?

I bought my Prowler secondhand with only one key, and I would like a spare or two just in case. Just wanted to see what some of you have done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your more then likely not going to have any luck at a hardware store.
You need to get a blank from a dealer, but first you need to determine which series your key is because there is two for your 06 prowler (Y & Z), you will see one of these two letters stamped into the key you have now.

part# 0430-042 Key, Ignition Series (Y)
or
part# 0430-043 Key, Ignition Series (Z)

and if you want the cover for the new key
part# 0430-054 Cover, Key

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I called the dealer gave them the number on the key and model of Prowler I had. Picked it up a few days later. The local stores around me didn't have blanks that were close enough to even try.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I take it if you order the keys listed above, then you can take them and have them copied at any key maker location?

I looked at my key and there is no Y or Z stamped into it. It has a 4 digit number but no letters. Maybe this is already a copy? Since no letter, am I forced to go see a dealer in person to get one ordered?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Nope, the 4 digit number(if it's like mine) identifies the cut needed. The key is mailed from Arctic Cat to the dealer already cut and ready to use.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, the 4 digit number(if it's like mine) identifies the cut needed. The key is mailed from Arctic Cat to the dealer already cut and ready to use.
Okay. Do you by any chance remember what they charge for a key at the dealer? It isn't some crazy, overpriced cost is it?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
It was a year a go but I think it was 5-8 bucks. Derby Cycles has it listed for $8.49, it's under the dash assembly diagram.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Yes your right, the four digit code is the cut but they will still have to figure out what series blank to use, I think the ignition switch also has the a code printed on it.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Sorry, not sure what they did to determine the series.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I appreciate the information guys. I'll call my local dealer on Monday and try and get a couple keys on order..... You saved me some wasted trips driving to all of the local hardware stores.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
So I take it if you order the keys listed above, then you can take them and have them copied at any key maker location?

I looked at my key and there is no Y or Z stamped into it. It has a 4 digit number but no letters. Maybe this is already a copy? Since no letter, am I forced to go see a dealer in person to get one ordered?
My copy doesn't have any numbers or markings on it, my original only has the 4 digit number and no letters. I took a pic of the original key and saved it just in case I lose it and need the numbers later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts