Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which oil port should I put my sending unit in for my guage? I have an upper and a lower port under my oil filter. I have an 08, so I have no cooler. The post I read earlier kind of confused me. It said the lower hose...port...if you have a cooler, And the upper port if I dont???

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Which oil port should I put my sending unit in for my guage? I have an upper and a lower port under my oil filter. I have an 08, so I have no cooler. The post I read earlier kind of confused me. It said the lower hose...port...if you have a cooler, And the upper port if I dont???
I have a cooler and I used the bottom port,I have great oil pressure.on my 06 my bottom hose was double clamped at the filter and the cooler.make sure you double clamp your hose barbs on each end of your sending unit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike! that's my confusion! I do NOT have an oil cooler!..do I still use the bottom? I think Darryle's post said he used the top if NO cooler? why would a cooler make a diff? still coming from the same port!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hi Mike! that's my confusion! I do NOT have an oil cooler!..do I still use the bottom? I think Darryle's post said he used the top if NO cooler? why would a cooler make a diff? still coming from the same port!
What I did was pull both hose's off and cranked motor and seen which port the oil shot out,and on mine it was the bottom port.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I really don't think it would make much difference your going to show pressure.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
It really don't matter,like mike said its still gonna show on the gauge.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
I have an 09 700XTX, I ended up using the bottom port, Upper port only showed 15 psi at 2500 RPM (factory specs are 10-12 psi at 2500 rpm) switched to bottom port and at start up it reads 65 psi, after it warms up it settles down to 30-40 at cruise speed. 10 psi at idle fully warmed up!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I have an 09 700XTX, I ended up using the bottom port, Upper port only showed 15 psi at 2500 RPM (factory specs are 10-12 psi at 2500 rpm) switched to bottom port and at start up it reads 65 psi, after it warms up it settles down to 30-40 at cruise speed. 10 psi at idle fully warmed up!
RD, is your low pressure warning light still come on.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
No, it flickers after a hard run, but as it cools down the light stays off. After a normal ride, I have 10psi at idle, and everything is good! I'm going to pull my covers next week and look at the clutch, belt, wet clutch, and driven gear. Want to be ready for HM in September!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after taking both plugs out under the filter and cranking it over, I determined it was the lower port. The reason I couldn't figure out which port is because I couldn't register any oil pressure. When it was cold, and I rev'ed it up, it would go to 25 psi., then at idle back down to 0. I figured it might be a bad sending unit, so I screwed in a mech. gauge to the port. still registered 0. Engine sounds good, not using any oil, But ordered a new oil pump. Hope that's the problem? glad I didn't seize my engine. any suggestions? Tom

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Well after taking both plugs out under the filter and cranking it over, I determined it was the lower port. The reason I couldn't figure out which port is because I couldn't register any oil pressure. When it was cold, and I rev'ed it up, it would go to 25 psi., then at idle back down to 0. I figured it might be a bad sending unit, so I screwed in a mech. gauge to the port. still registered 0. Engine sounds good, not using any oil, But ordered a new oil pump. Hope that's the problem? glad I didn't seize my engine. any suggestions? Tom
Tom you might want to check your driven gear,it's in behind your wet clutch,they are know for having teeth shear off,it runs off the oil pump gear.If there is enough teeth sheared off it will quit pumping oil to the top end.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
around 170-190...used wetter water in the coolant. would I need new gaskets or seals to inspect the pump gear?...also just got off the phone with kevin, a mechanic at country cat. he read the pressure specs. to me....15-20 psi on the 08-650. he said the upper port is the pressure side..the reason oil pumps from the lower port it because that's the one it reaches first

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
You'll know if it's the gear when you change your oil pump, mine didn't have a tooth left on it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
he also said to put a hose on the upper port and run it into a clean container, take out my spark plug to relieve compression, and crank the motor. oil should come flying out. he kinda said that the pump either works or it doesn't! also my electric auto gauge might not be accurate enough to measure the lower pressure....kind of like using a 60# tire gauge to check for 5# of air! makes sense to me.....The part that I don't get is that some members say there getting 60psi when the specs say it only puts out 15-20???

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cancelled the new pump order until I inspect the gear. do I need replacement gaskets to inspect?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
he also said to put a hose on the upper port and run it into a clean container, take out my spark plug to relieve compression, and crank the motor. oil should come flying out. he kinda said that the pump either works or it doesn't! also my electric auto gauge might not be accurate enough to measure the lower pressure....kind of like using a 60# tire gauge to check for 5# of air! makes sense to me.....The part that I don't get is that some members say there getting 60psi when the specs say it only puts out 15-20???
The specs are at 2500 rpm those that are getting 60 may be talking about driving psi. Mine reads high when the engine is cold and drops as it heats up, I think while driving it's 50-70 and at idle 15 psi, at 2500 rpm it's 28 psi. I have my electric sending unit on the oil cooler return line. I'll check to make sure I got the numbers right. I'm not sure when the updated they driven gear for the oil pump, I have an 07 and here's what mine looked like:
IMAG0269.jpg

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
If your careful with the gasket, they can be reused. I've reused the same gaskets on three teardowns with no problems. Regarding the oil pressure, my manual states to put the test gauge on the upper port. Should read 10-12 PSI minimum at 2500 RPM, and if it shows lower to clean the oil cooler. I have a 2009 XTX 700. I used the lower port on mine to hook up the oil pressure gauge. At first start cold I show 65-75 PSI, after warm up I show 10 PSI at idle, and 25-30 at cruise RPM. I did try the upper port , but it only shower 15 PSI at high RPM, I think this motor on a prowler has a scavenge (suction) side on the oil pump circuit I think it is the nature of a roller bearing motor . I'm used to tight bearing clearance's on an auto engine, and seeing 70 PSI at Idle. 40=50 warm. The new style gear has fewer holes, and they are a little larger, just a quick look and you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys..so if I'm hearing you right, I pull off everything to expose my wet clutch. then inspect the driven gear? I should be ok with gaskets if I'm careful. If the gear is worn, I replace it! Is it that simple?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Very simple to change the driven gear,once you get to it one clip holds it on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts