Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey prowler nation, I just wanted to start a little discussion about who amongst us has had issues with their diff's. It could be seals blowing or failures. I don't to start any "brand bashing" or negative discussions so please don't post them here. Just wanted to find out how many of us have had problems and what they are. Or if you have been issue free, how many miles and what kind of driving do you do? The idea came to me the other day when I called my local dealer to find out what they have been recommending for a fix to the venting and overheating issues some of us have experienced. Long story short; the mechanic told me they don't run in to this problem very often... hmmm... :rolleyes: Just thought it would be a good topic for a discussion! Thanks in advance for your input :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No issues for me.

Trail riding with the family aboard.
Hardly run at speed for any length of time.

I did do the diff vent mod on the old green machine this winter when I was doing the 1000 motor swap.

I am running Royal Purple gear oil. 1 jug did both front and rear diff's.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Only problem has been the diff lock. Bought a used unit so not to sure how much abuse was done by the old timer in 200 miles. The diff lock would not engage and never heard or could see anything out of the ordinary. Pulled the diff our and had it inspected, no prob with the diff engaging, put it back in and everything worked. The diff in the front is actic cat but is not stock for the year and make so im told. Not sure what it was, if its considered the axel popping out or what but I guess it wasn't seated properly to engage.

I have a cable actuated diff that does not go through a actuator. Not sure if it was early prowler or what but they dont make them like that any more. never a good sign. 300+ miles since I got it and use the diff lock regulary, so I hope everything is good to go. After reading all the problems about diffs on the forum I feel lucky.

I ride mostly narrow trails in 4x4 at slow speeds. Im using the cat oil from dealer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
most common issue you will have from prowler owners are diff seal leak and to solve my issue was to change both front axles , that seems to have fixed it

·
Registered
193 Posts
i had a rear pinion seal blow on me, i repaired it and did dual bellows in rear, desert riddin from fast to slow crawlin on rocks and dirt roads. no issues again (knock on wood) i run amzoil marine gear lube. it works well im going for a ride on thursday, and were looking for a high of 107.... the diffs will be preheated and ready to go.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My front diff went when the spider gear pin weld let go. I was hammering on it pretty hard but the diff pins are a problem for a couple model years. But of course the dealer knows nothing about common spidergear problems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My front locked up and caused a rollover and chewed up the gears,belt and clutches at 500mi. The rear seals seeped at 80mi. the rear was also loose from the factory.

·
Registered
861 Posts
interesting this post comes up. Mine were fine...took it to the dealer and for some reason they took it upon themselves to put new seals in the rear, well 3 rides later, i have had 2 seals put in and now my axle is pulling out about 1/8 inch....needless to say i am pulling the thing this weekend and doin the work myself from now on....my cat made it 2 days on a 6 day vacation...Split

1 - 9 of 9 Posts