Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Will Polaris RZR High Back Seats Fit In My Prowler?

18K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  muddogefi 
#1 ·
I found what I think is a pretty good deal on some Polaris RZR stock seats. I have a 2006 Prowler 650 XT. I have two questions.

First, would they work as replacements for the stock front seats in a Prowler (maybe with some slight mounting mods)? Has anybody done something like this already that could give me feedback?

Second, would these same seats at least possibly work (as a pair) and fit in the bed of a Prowler to make rear seats? Again, if somebody has done this already that could give me some feedback it would be appreciated.....

#2 ·
Yes they will fit.

There has been a few to do it. If you look up some real old seat lowering threads you will find the info there.

It may have been on prowler forums . net though may have to check there if you don't find the info here.

Ordered some for my rig but on e-bay but seller went crazy with his shipping charge so canceled the order.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. The guy ended up selling the seats to somebody else. So looks like for now this mod is not going to happen. I'll try searching for the info you posted and see if it is still something I want to pursue.

#5 ·
soazcat did this upgrade and he said they fit. You need to drill a few holes in your seat pan to make them fit
I already devised an idea of adapting a bracket to make them fit the stock seat pan. Do you know if there are any pictures posted with the RZR seats in the Prowler? I would love to see what they look like installed.

#7 ·
#9 ·
We need pictures and details after you are done......;) I'm still keeping an eye out for a good deal, but I would really like to see what they look like in the Prowler and see if they are more comfortable than stock....

By the way, that is a steal of a deal on those seats. That is even cheaper than the original deal I found...

#11 ·
Better start posting away then....:D I have a pretty good idea how to adapt the RZR seats to the Prowler seat bases. I'll see what your idea is and compare.

#12 ·
I am thinking about two pieces of 1.5 or 2" strap about14-16" long for each seat. Since the RZR bolt holes are something like 9.5" apart I was going to drill those holes and fasten the strap side to side. Then I would drill and tap the holes to mount to the original seat pan so I can still use the front to back slots for adjustment.
The only thing I am thinking about different is raising the back of the seats slightly since the RZR seats have a bit more backwards slant. I s=could double up the back piece of strap or use some spacers so I could still move the seat back further in the slots for taller drivers. I'm only 5'6" so being moved forward doesn't hurt my feelings but my buddies would probably feel a little cramped on a long ride.

This is fun!

#13 ·
Here are a couple photos of what my Son in Law and i did.
Forgive the quality, I didn't have my camera so used a Blackberry phone camera.

Here is the bottom of the RZR seat, note the silver colored pressed in nuts about 9" apart. I cut two pieces of 2" steel strap 16" long then drilled anc countersunk the 2 holes in each to fit the seat and used flat head allen screws.

Here are both pieces fastened on.

Next I laid out the spacing for the slotted holes in the stock seat pan which were about 13" apart then drilled and tapped 3/8" holes and added bolts from the back side so they act as studs.

And here is the seat pan fastened in place. Note I placed the studs approx center of the slots so I still have some for and aft adjustment for different sized drivers.

Many thanks to Tom Tanner and Stuart at Best Manufacturing Metal Fabrication in Glendale AZ!

Here is a photo of what they look like in the Prowler. Excuse the crappy cage, its out at Glendale Powdercoating right now getting coated, should be ready to go first of next week!

Tha back seats are just sitting in place until I come up with a bracket design. I would appreciate and photos or help there if any of you have mounted a back seat.

#14 · (Edited)
Nice. A little different idea then I had on the mounting bracket. I had planned on mounting two pieces of metal side-to-side with holes countersunk to bolt into the RZR seat, and then holes drilled/tapped for the slots in the factory bases. Whatever works.

How do the seats feel compared to the stock seats as far as sitting position? I have yet to put a mile on my Prowler as I bought it broken (replacing bevels now), but I did finally sit in it the other day and was surprised at how high you feel like you are sitting in these things. Was wondering if the RZR seats still put you in a comfortable position or make you feel like you are sitting even higher?

#15 ·
hey guys sorry bout the lack of response latley havnt had much free time . i see the group has led you in the right direction for installing the seats. on my car i installed the rzr seats at the same time i lowered the mounts 4 " . so i just cut the seat frames down the middle took a couple of inches out of the center and made them the same width as the RZR seats . them welded them back together . i made new seat pans out of aluminum since the factory plastic pans wouldnt work after the drop. this way the latch in front still worked and they still slid in to the notches like originally . sorry i dont have any pics left and my car is in a milloin pieces right now. in fact it doesnt even have any tubing left inside where the seat were !

one thing i didnt like with theRZR seats on the ac mounts is that they felt a little to stright up for me . i would space the front up a inch and rock them back as far as i could if i had to do it again .

#16 ·
Nice job azdesertrat. Very clean. I wouldn't mind having some rzr seats myself. But like soazcat, i would lower them at the same time. Been wanting to do that for a while. Just don't have the means at this time.

#17 ·
How did you lower the seats? With the battery below the drivers seat the cables and solenoid are almost touching the seat pan as it is.
The reason I used the strap is it only added 1/8" additional height and the RZR seats seem to be a bit thinner feeling to me since they are sort of contoured. I can't tip mine back any more than they are due to the cross brace on my cage right behind the seats.

#18 ·
Seating wise (height, position, position to steering wheel, comfort, etc.) how do the RZR seats feel in relation to the stock seats?

I would love to lower my seats, but I'm not ready to go that far. However, I'd be willing to try the RZR seat mod if it was worth it....

#19 ·
I like the position. They could be tipped back slightly for some people but I like a more upright position and my cage cross bar won't allow much slant. The height seems to be very close to original but much softer so you sink in a bit versus being perched on top of the tractor seats they come with.

I will post many more photos in the coming months as I get my roll cage back, remount lights etc and make changes.

#20 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll be curious to see how the RZR seats work in the back as well (do they leave enough leg room, etc.)? I was curious how the RZR seats would work in the rear compared to your traditional bench seat?

#23 ·
It looks nice. I still need to get a back seat and cage, but all my money has been invested in repairing the motor (bevel gears) since I bought it. Finally started up the motor for the first time today. Everything seems to be okay. So that was a relief as this is my first time ever working on one. Now time to save up for a rear seat and cage.....

#24 ·
I found the inline fan ground diode in the wiring harness behind the radiator, cut it out and spliced the wires together and the fan now works!

Off to emissions tomorrow now that I feel comfortable it won't overheat while waiting in line. May be able to take my first ride this weekend!!!

#26 ·
I stopped at the Arctic Cat dealer in Wickenburg today and ordered the fan diode, it was only $11, cheaper than I thought it would be. I also bought a filter recharge kit, cleaner and oil, for the K&N air filter that was in the Prowler when I bought it. The dealer told me they do not recommend K&N filters, they have seen fine dust pass through them? I have had K&N on several bikes in the past and on my F-150 and never had any problems so maybe its because they were not oiled properly and the gasket surface greased when it is placed in the air box?

I also went to emissions and the DMV when I got home so we are legal now! Can't wait for my first ride other than around the neighborhood......

Tomorrow I need to adjust the parking brake and the shift linkage and I think I'm ready.

#28 ·
They are Super Swampers, don't remember the size and I left the Prowler up north in Flagstaff for the summer so I don't have to haul it back and forth.

Here are a couple more recent pics with all 4 seats installed:

Took it up north for Memorial Day weekend and put about 70 miles on it carrying 4 adults at around 7700' altitude and was very impressed. I am going back up for Fathers Day this weekend and plan to put even more on it, my kids are bring up a Ranger and a couple quads so plan to do some riding!

#30 ·
I just picked up a brand new pair (2) of RZR seats for $75. Couldn't pass that up. With AZDesertRat's input I'll be making some brackets to make them work both in the front and the rear. If I like, then I'll be looking to find 2 more seats for a good deal.....

#32 ·
are you gonna drop them or mount them stock.your like i was last year got the fever bad....................:)
Mount them stock. I would love to drop them, but just seems like a lot of work....... But I'll never say never.....:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.