Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So my first real thread here. It will be a project to install my Warn 3000lb. Provantage (Warn Item number: Item#: 2436-102) winch on my Prowler. The parts are in. I'm picking them up this afternoon. I've been reading the installation instructions on the Warn website. It doesn't seem overly difficult.

But I wanted to check in with you guys before I begin my install. Is there anything that you guys have found is important to do/not do before/during/after the install?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys,
So my first real thread here. It will be a project to install my Warn 3000lb. Provantage (Warn Item number: Item#: 2436-102) winch on my Prowler. The parts are in. I'm picking them up this afternoon. I've been reading the installation instructions on the Warn website. It doesn't seem overly difficult.
Actually, that item number is off the Arctic Cat site.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Pretty simple install! I used the factory offered winch on mine also. Wire routing was easy, relay/control solenoid was easy to mount and wire. Control switch plugged into the spare connector under the dash. I pulled my floor out to run the wires, but not necessary.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a beginner here. So if I there may be some questions with some pretty obvious answers. I just don't know them yet.

So as I'm getting prepared to start the winch mount; I notice two things. First, my mounting bracket is at a 45 degree angle. Second, I have a grill that would be blocking my winch cable/hook.

Can you guys take a look at the pics below and let me know if I should install it onto that location on the frame? And also, what should I do about that front grill?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a doofus. I didn't realize that the grill is a plastic piece that can unscrew right off. I got the winch mounted too.

Well, so far so good. Besides the stupid questions. But again, I am pretty green around the ears.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so I got everything hooked up. I turn the key on. Toggle the rocker switch. And nothing.

I connected the yellow/blue cables to the correct winch posts. Then ran them back to the solenoid. Blue to blue. Yellow to green. I connected the red cable to the red post and then the black cable to the black post. Then I connected the rocker switch with the wire harness. And connected the other end of the harness to the solenoid.

After all that I hooked up the solenoid to the batter and turned the key. No juice. The Prowler will start. Just nothing on the winch.

Any ideas?

I'm going to try to attach some pics I took of the cable.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
What side of the solenoid did you use? Battery, or starter side? Can you jump the plow relay cable and will the winch run (make sure you have cable pulled out)? Everything looked good from the pictures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What side of the solenoid did you use? Battery, or starter side? Can you jump the plow relay cable and will the winch run (make sure you have cable pulled out)? Everything looked good from the pictures.
I'm not sure what you mean by which side of the solenoid I used. I'm also not sure what you mean by jump the plow relay cable.

I did have about 6 inches of cable pulled out of the winch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what you mean by which side of the solenoid I used. I'm also not sure what you mean by jump the plow relay cable.

I did have about 6 inches of cable pulled out of the winch.

Or maybe I'm using the wrong term. The instructions call it a contactor. Everyone else seems to be calling it a solenoid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I feel like I'm talking to myself a lot here. I might be losing it.

Anywho, I am going over the two installation booklets. (One from Warn, one from Arctic Cat). And I'm wondering if I cannot install the rocker switch at the center console; and that it must be installed on the dash.

The thing that is making me think that is that in the Arctic Cat booklet, they have you install it into the dash. Then connect one of the orange/black two-prong molded plugs into the console harness. (Which I currently am not doing. ) I'll try again tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Okay, I feel like I'm talking to myself a lot here. I might be losing it.

Anywho, I am going over the two installation booklets. (One from Warn, one from Arctic Cat). And I'm wondering if I cannot install the rocker switch at the center console; and that it must be installed on the dash.

The thing that is making me think that is that in the Arctic Cat booklet, they have you install it into the dash. Then connect one of the orange/black two-prong molded plugs into the console harness. (Which I currently am not doing. ) I'll try again tonight.
Yes you can install the rocker switch in the center console.............

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you can install the rocker switch in the center console.............
When I installed the rocker switch into the center console, I didn't plug the orange/black two prong plug into anything. I assumed it was a connect for a remote or something along those lines. In the Arctic Cat install booklet, they have me connecting a specific orange/black plug into console harness. Is that able to happen when the switch is on the center console? (Without making any mods)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, well I guess the black/orange wire plug is, apparently, important.

Like de3 said, you are, in fact, able to install the switch in the center console. There is a control harness location where you plug the black/orange plug into. I did that, and boom! We are cookin' with propane!

Winch works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Glad you got it working! I noticed the two prong plug not connected, but old fart thinking prevented a comment! I think the center console is indeed a better location for the switch! I keep turning 4WD off when I plow! Big fingers wrong switch!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I've done 2 winch/plows install's. My first (on mine) took about 4 hours. The 2nd on a buddies took about 1 1/2. After the first, you learn perty quickly. I mounted both the winch on/off and control switch in the console. I removed the reverse lock out switch from mine, and used that spot. I love that location. If you are going to do a lot of plowing, be careful, it drains the battery down fast. The plow draws more than the charging system can put out. I carry a jumper pack. This year I have the RD alternator to help out. I'll let you know how it works with that running the plow and the new heater. Turn signal and taillight/brake light parts are the way!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
be careful with that switch location ..... for some reason my winch is fried and the rope was pulled in so tight I had to work for an hour + to get it back out of the roller fairway , it had sucked the snubber in so tight it bound itself up tighter than a [well you know that saying]

anyway once i freed the rope the winch is dead assume one relay or more is DOA , have no idea how/when/ why but think it's from my wife steading herself with a hand on the console ????? I have not trouble shot the winch issue yet ... might even look a a KFI heavier winch [reasonable $$ for more winch] present one is a A/C-Warn 3000 lb one.

if I do it will be remote controlled with console switch abandoned do to location

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you got it working! I noticed the two prong plug not connected, but old fart thinking prevented a comment! I think the center console is indeed a better location for the switch! I keep turning 4WD off when I plow! Big fingers wrong switch!

Well that's what I was thinking. I figured I'd be plowing in the wee hours of the night. So who know what switch is be pushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts