Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Any winch guru's? Problem with my warn. Won't hold the weight of my plow in the air.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Lifting and dropping or just won't lift at all?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Is your cable coming off the top of the spool or from the bottom, if off the top it's backward. My has a label in the end of the winch showing that is should be coming off the bottom, if it isn't the brake won't work properly. Hopefully it's something simple.

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Yep that helps. If what I searched is right your winch has a dynamic brake, the 3.0 ce has a mechanical brake. There are two winch part numbers 62700 and 62701. A mechanical brake will hold a load better.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
How heavy is your plow and was it holding it up last winter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plow is a Curtis. It's an electric over hydraulic. But I'm waiting on brushes for the motor. So I figured I'd use the winch till it's repaired. First time using the winch. Plow is @ 300? Lbs. So it's not like it's overwhelming the winch.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Honestly.... I HAVE NO IDEA!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Since you asked the question I've been searching for answers and learning along the way. Here's a link with a little info on the brakes https://www.4wheelparts.com/a/atv-winches
ATV winch brakes

ATV winches typically have either dynamic brakes or mechanical brakes. Dynamic brakes use the gear system to keep the winch drum from moving. A mechanical brake actually locks the drum. Either system should be sufficient for an ATV winching operation, although mechanical brakes are less likely to slip when holding a load.
Here's a couple sites I found that listed the two different models of your winch:
Polaris Warn Winches
WARN WINCH

And then I found the instructions for the kit to add the mechanical brake to yours, looks like the kit runs around $80.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/wrn-65326a0.pdf

This has been a learning experience for me and I'll know a few more details to look for if I ever need to replace mine.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've been trying to find more info on my factory Warn winch #60898 but no luck so far. It will hold my plow up but it only weighs around 100 pounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In light of having to wait for parts to fix this winch? I instead bought a 5k mile marker winch with load hold. That works great with this plow. After Christmas? I'll order the kit to convert my warn and try it. See how it works and report back.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
They're calling to snow this weekend so I hooked up my plow with the 3000 lb factory Warn winch. It will hold the 100 lb plow up fine by itself but with me standing on it B-12(dry weight before burger & 12 pack) is about 175 + plow weight it drops like yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haveta say. This new winch is nite and day difference. It will lift the plow while up against the snow bank. The warn would never do that.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
try to help yourself out with this idea ... make an L shaped piece that fits the front receiver about 2.5-3' tall on the up post , at the top of the tall post add a pulley by slicing the post and dropping the bully down in the slot. remove your winch line and make up a short line enough for a couple wraps around the spool and the other end attach to the top of the blade where it normally attached.

the winch line gets heavy wear and constantly needs new end made up do to short line pulling at the last spot , the above gives the blade more height to lift up and also a short line pulling off the pulley gets much less wear on the rolling pulley .... that is if your set up uses the winch v/s a hydraulic lift of course LOL

Reactions: Fairmont79

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine does have the electric over hydraulic lift. The winch is just to get me past Christmas/New year's holiday. 😁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts