Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

winches>>>

7K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  joe dirt 
#1 ·
what whinch came with your prowler ? mine is a warm 3500lb unit and it seems to be a piece of crap!, it seldom works when i need it or has no or low tourqe when it counts brushes stick regualrly. then even after cleaning them there is not much power. just cant depend on the darn thing to work when needed is this just mine or warn winches in general.

#2 ·
I have the Warn RT30 with synthetic rope and it works great. There's a shop called Montana Jacks that sells and services Warn and they have been around for ever. There prices are so much cheaper then anywhere else and the guy that owns it knows his stuff. When you go to the website you have to add items to the cart to see the real low prices. I bought the wireless remote from him for $30 cheaper then all the other Warn dealers.

http://www.montanajacks.com/

#3 ·
i hated my warn. it burnt up nearly everytime i used it. i rarely needed it, but it ALWAYS failed me. i finally got hooked up with promark and they sent me a winch and i can not destroy it. it is absoloutely amazing! i did a full write-up for them and they put it on their website. mine pulled for 2 hours straight one day at a big ride pulling 50 bikes thru a hole out of a creek. i got myself out and butted up to a tree and pulled each and every bike thru one at a time for 2 hours and the winch still did not burn up. it was WELL worth its weight in gold that night.

#4 ·
Hunterworks.com has the wide spool viper that are for utvs.
Motoalliance has introduced their two new wide spool winches and Hunterworks is the exclusive dealer for them, even Motoalliance will not be selling them.

Hunterworks and Motoalliance have partnered up on a couple different projects soon to come.

The new winches are a 4000 and 5000 lb wide spool winch which has several advantages over the standard ATV winch for a UTV.

click the link below to go over to our site for more information.

Link to Wide Spool Winches

#5 ·
I have a warn that works Great! But you have to watch some warn models are not sealed and water can get in and you will have trouble, Ive had 3 different warn winches on 3 different machines and never had trouble with any of them. Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
Also Vipers are made in China, But so are my HIDS

#7 ·
Ive seen some reports of the spool cracking on vipers. So all you can do is pick one that looks the best for you.

#9 ·
I have a warn winch on mine as well. I've never heard of anybody around here having any trouble with them. I used to own a jeep and rode with a lot of different kind of offroad vehicles. Most all of us has had, or either has warn winches. Might see a Ramsey or a Milemarker every once in a while. I've always thought warn was the best. I have never had any problems with any Warn winch. Sorry to hear about your troubles. My only complaint about mine is it doesn't pull very fast like some winches i've seen.

#11 ·
Todd at hunterworks is very honest man and if you read the tech about the vipers they sound like a good wench but to each his own. I have warn on my xtz but it came with the prowler free and when i put one on the xtx I'll try the 5000 viper on the xtz and put the warn on the xtx.
You are correct but I will keep my made in the USA Warn.

#12 ·
the RT series of warn winches are good, they are sealed so no water or mud can get in. have been using regular warns on ATV's and water gets into them quick. i have a 3500 warn on my Prowler right now, when i get stuck in the thicker stuff it just isn't quite enough and works overtime, keep in mind, the Prowler weighs a few lbs... next one will be at least a 4000. it all depends on how hard you make it work, and how often.

#15 · (Edited)
The winch should be rated at 3 time the weight of your prowler to be correct size. But of coarse mine isnt.

#20 ·
i have used 2500 superwinch on my ATV, went thru 2 of them. last one was 3000 superwinch. they only lasted half as long as warn. i have never used 4000 or 4500, have no clue how long those would last....the 2500 superwinch was not as strong as the warn 2500, had the strength of a 1500 warn.
from my experience with them, they didn't last, and were not as strong

#21 ·
ihave a warn on mine and have had no problem with it

#22 ·
i have a 4500 pound promark and really like it, have not worked it that hard yet but come waterfowl season it should get a thorough workout. price cannot be beat and yes it is made in china but so are most but not all of the warn models.
tim

#24 ·
I bought a atv 4500# winch its made in china. but its to big to fit in the frame. and it looks like it needs some kind of mount to bolt to the cat. do I need to get a special cat mount and winch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.