Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying to decide whether to revive an old thread or start a new one to bring up an old subject about oil filters. Since this info about NAPA filters is new to me here we go!

In my quest to buy oil filters & oil local I've kept checking the auto parts stores. The last time I changed my oil the local NAPA got taken over by Bumper to Bumper so I had to drive to the next town to buy a Wix filter & Lucas oil at an O'Reilly's. Since then NAPA reopened a new store in town. I took the cross reference numbers there, they didn't have a K&N in stock but he said they had Wix and then brought out a NAPA box with a Wix filter inside.

At the suggestion of the clerk (a Harley rider who puts it in his bike) I bought full synthetic Mobil 1 oil. They price came in at $38.71 so it was about the same as the Arctic Cat oil kit but I didn't have to drive an hour to get it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I've used Mobil One 10/40, and the 20/50 with good results. I order K&N filters on line and get 6 at a crack! Seems the WIX filters are making a name for themselves!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just like tires and batteries, there's probably only a few manufactures and everyone slaps their name on it. What surprised me was that NAPA didn't bother even putting their name on the filter itself, just used their box, well label anyway the boxes were even the same.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
In my quest to buy oil filters & oil local I've kept checking the auto parts stores. The last time I changed my oil the local NAPA got taken over by Bumper to Bumper so I had to drive to the next town to buy a Wix filter & Lucas oil at an O'Reilly's. Since then NAPA reopened a new store in town. I took the cross reference numbers there, they didn't have a K&N in stock but he said they had Wix and then brought out a NAPA box with a Wix filter inside.

At the suggestion of the clerk (a Harley rider who puts it in his bike) I bought full synthetic Mobil 1 oil. They price came in at $38.71 so it was about the same as the Arctic Cat oil kit but I didn't have to drive an hour to get it.

thanks for the info , have to check what numbers mine uses and maybe have a better source , even though we now have an A/C dealer in Reno , it takes about 1/2 hour + drive to get there depending on time of day it could be an hour.

heck I'm not sure where the local Napa is here , have to find that out also .. had a very good one when I was up in Coeur 'd Alene, Id.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info , have to check what numbers mine uses and maybe have a better source , even though we now have an A/C dealer in Reno , it takes about 1/2 hour + drive to get there depending on time of day it could be an hour.

heck I'm not sure where the local Napa is here , have to find that out also .. had a very good one when I was up in Coeur 'd Alene, Id.
Here's a link to the cross reference, looks like they're all the same. I have the same problem, it's an hour round trip to the nearest dealer and if the wife rides along it's a 5 hour trip, Kohls, Target, the Mall, lunch out, equal's a very expensive oil change!

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/frequently-asked-technical-questions/3804-prowler-filter-cross-information.html

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
No such thing as a quick shopping trip with the better half!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Worked OK Auto parts then Bumper To Bumper. WIX was a great filter and was looked at as one of the best.

Now as far as NAPA Filters go, their NAPA Gold filters have always been WIX. :)

Also, thanks for the Mobil One heads up! Everything except our Sportsmans and Prowler run Mobil one Synthetic! Guess the Prowler will be moving to Mobil One too! :)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worked OK Auto parts then Bumper To Bumper. WIX was a great filter and was looked at as one of the best.

Now as far as NAPA Filters go, their NAPA Gold filters have always been WIX. :)

Also, thanks for the Mobil One heads up! Everything except our Sportsmans and Prowler run Mobil one Synthetic! Guess the Prowler will be moving to Mobil One too! :)
Didn't know that about NAPA filters, I never paid any attention to filter manufactures until the Prowler, knowing how dirt can kill these things I wanted a clean air filter and quality oil filter.
I'll might start buying the Gold for my truck also, thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I went with Mobil One because I could get it local! AC Store is 20 miles away! Now I can get Amesoil, or Mobil near home! I keep a case stocked in the garage! Have to hide it because the boy likes it also! LOL

·
Registered
252 Posts

Now as far as NAPA Filters go, their NAPA Gold filters have always been WIX.

Also, thanks for the Mobil One heads up! Everything except our Sportsmans and Prowler run Mobil one Synthetic! Guess the Prowler will be moving to Mobil One too!
Didn't know that about NAPA filters, I never paid any attention to filter manufactures until the Prowler, knowing how dirt can kill these things I wanted a clean air filter and quality oil filter.
I'll might start buying the Gold for my truck also, thanks for the info.
FYI, they didn't say WIX on them though in the past so it is nice they do now. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went with Mobil One because I could get it local! AC Store is 20 miles away! Now I can get Amesoil, or Mobil near home! I keep a case stocked in the garage! Have to hide it because the boy likes it also! LOL
LOL I hear you! Local for me is 40 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart for the Mobil One. The Arctic Cat dealer is a bit further and way out of my way! LOL

Picked up 5 cases for the vehicles when Sam's Club had a sale on 5w-20. Still have to buy 0w-20 though for the Insight but that's only 2.5 qts per change. :)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The chart only shows 2006 - 2011. I have a 2014 550. Have the filters changed?
I think they're the same, the chart was posted in 2012 and hasn't been updated. I'll see if I can check.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
They take the same number.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts