Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2009 xtx, and while riding at night i can look down between the bed and the cab at the header and whole damn thing is glowing orange... newer plug, always nice tan color when changed, any ideas. im planning on getting the dynatek fuel controller...anybody else have this problem? i know its common on the xtz's but search resulted nothing on the xtx.

·
Registered
812 Posts
same issue with the XTZ also, haven't had time to figure it out either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bueller...bueller... nobody has this issue????

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
This is normal. These motors produce some very high EGT's. Just be sure all your heat shields are in place and wrap anything near it that might be subject to the high temps that you think could cause a problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is normal. These v twins produce some very high egt temps. Just be sure all your heat shields are in place and wrap anything near it that might be subject to the high temps that you think could cause a problem.
theres only one problem, i bought the 700 before the 1000 twin came out, i wish i had the twin, much more buildable platform...so my question still remains.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
i know on a carb one 2 to 3 inches of glow in header is fine,but i dont even like that,has your F/I 700 always been like that. i dont have any thing wraped or any heat shields.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Ok I changed my wording. It's normal. You have half of a V-twin! :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
I honestly haven't noticed on mine but I can tell you mine gets VERY hot. next time I'm o a night run I'll check it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was orange before just looking at the pipe.. and yes.. mine is a "half a twin 700" hahahah

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's with all the v-twins running lean, everything on that list is a twin. I guess I'll just wrap my exhaust so i don't see it anymore:D

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
What's with all the v-twins running lean, everything on that list is a twin. I guess I'll just wrap my exhaust so i don't see it anymore:D
You will still see the red even with the thermo tech header wrap on there. When I dyno'd my XTZ with the turbo (headers wrapped) it lit up like the 4th of July. I wish i would have filmed it.

Watch this one. Is yours that hot? :D

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
good info flying121,on the different machines glowing header pipes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will still see the red even with the thermo tech header wrap on there. When I dyno'd my XTZ with the turbo (headers wrapped) it lit up like the 4th of July. I wish i would have filmed it.

Watch this one. Is yours that hot? :D
Twin Turbo Red Hot on the Dyno - YouTube
hmmmm. mine is the same color temp as when that twin system is seeing boost, but its only about the first 6-7" of the header pipe that glows, oh well, if it blows up i just have an excuse for the wife to let me go bigger..much bigger

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You just need to be sure that nothing that is flammable comes in contact or gets to close to the exhaust. On the XTZ 1000 the heat from the park brake rotor rubbing the pads was enough heat to ignite the plastic clutch exhaust ducting that was only a few inches away and then the rest of the XTZ caught fire. You can only imagine what would happen if hot motor oil or a gas leak were to spray onto that hot glowing exhaust. This is why I have two fire bottles and another reason I had an aluminum engine cover made for my Prowler. The plastic engine cover is not the greatest to protect you from an exploding clutch or a fire.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
hmmmm. mine is the same color temp as when that twin system is seeing boost, but its only about the first 6-7" of the header pipe that glows, oh well, if it blows up i just have an excuse for the wife to let me go bigger..much bigger

Rhino V8 - RV8 - YouTube
That's about the farthest thing from a Rhino right there. LMAO

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's about the farthest thing from a Rhino right there. LMAO

wait......you mean thats not a factory rhino...:D just put a few prowler pieces on a tatum rail and its still a prowler right... i guess thats what happens when you live in dubai and can afford anything.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I guess I should keep my mouth shut. The only body part on my XTZ that is stock is the hood and I had to cut that as well. But mine still looks like a Prowler. lol

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
flying121,i took my plastic duct work thats close to the header,and took it over to a muffler shop and had one bent up out of galv exhaust pipe worked real good dont have to worry about melting..........

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
flying121,i took my plastic duct work thats close to the header,and took it over to a muffler shop and had one bent up out of galv exhaust pipe worked real good dont have to worry about melting..........
Very smart idea right there. Post a pic for all the guys to see when you have some time. Thnaks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts