Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a used 09 xtz 1000 and the 4x4 will not lock in the front diff will lock up but not the drive shaft comeing out of the motor we changed the oil and there was some long shaveings in the oil so i flused the oil and have got ti out but what could have broke in there and about how much will it cost to fix? also there was a plug under my overide switch that had the 2 wires tied together y? and i cant find the rite plug to fit in the override switch

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Somebody probably bypassed the override switch so the rev limiter won't engage in reverse. Do you hear the 4wd engage and disengage when you press the switch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Somebody probably bypassed the override switch so the rev limiter won't engage in reverse. Do you hear the 4wd engage and disengage when you press the switch?
thats what i thoght but it still hit rev in reverse... when i flip the switch i hear it maken noise

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i bought a used 09 xtz 1000 and the 4x4 will not lock in the front diff will lock up but not the drive shaft comeing out of the motor we changed the oil and there was some long shaveings in the oil so i flused the oil and have got ti out but what could have broke in there and about how much will it cost to fix? also there was a plug under my overide switch that had the 2 wires tied together y? and i cant find the rite plug to fit in the override switch

Please post a picture of the parts you found in the oil. You may have broken the thrust washers on the secondary tranny.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The secondary shaft runs through the transmission and is coupled to the rear section of the shaft and then the rear flange. The transmission drives on the front section of that shaft,that being said if it moves with the rear tires the shaft must be turning. Check the nut on the front yoke and check the yoke splines. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Some guys have had acuator problems too. Just cause the acuator is making noise does not mean it is operating correctly. That is one of the easiests thing to check. You might jack up the front end. And then engage the diff lock and the 4x4. Now if you spin the front tires does the front drive shaft spin too? If it does can you hold the front drive shaft still while someone slowly turns the front tires?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Some guys have had acuator problems too. Just cause the acuator is making noise does not mean it is operating correctly. That is one of the easiests thing to check. You might jack up the front end. And then engage the diff lock and the 4x4. Now if you spin the front tires does the front drive shaft spin too? If it does can you hold the front drive shaft still while someone slowly turns the front tires?
I agree with Chris, there have been problems with the link between the actuator and the front diff. I'm giving serious thought to returning my electronic diff lock back to the old style cable engage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the stuff in the oil was long stright pieces which went in the trash.... when the 4wd switch is engaged the shaft out of the trans still doesent turn doese this help? thanks for the input guys keep it comen

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with Chris, there have been problems with the link between the actuator and the front diff. I'm giving serious thought to returning my electronic diff lock back to the old style cable engage.
I lock an old actuator in the 4wd position when I put my tracks on

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I could not tell you for sure. But I would guess 1000.00-1500.00 if you cannot do any of it your self. If you can do some yourself like pull the motor and reinstall it it would be around 700.00-1000.00. If you have a extended warranty it should only cost 50.00 dollars. I would try and make sure that is what it is for sure though. Could be other things.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could not tell you for sure. But I would guess 1000.00-1500.00 if you cannot do any of it your self. If you can do some yourself like pull the motor and reinstall it it would be around 700.00-1000.00. If you have a extended warranty it should only cost 50.00 dollars. I would try and make sure that is what it is for sure though. Could be other things.
:eek::eek: ill leave it in 2wd and rock it

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would say with that assessment, you broke your Secondary Driven Front Shaft, part number 0819-089. The gear that transfers power to the front and rear shafts is mounted on the splined portion of that shaft. If it was any other part, the rear wouldn't turn. But if that shaft breaks, the front won't turn.
when I get to my office tomorrow, I'll look up the price for that shaft as well as what AC's recommended service time is. That will give you a closer idea so you will know what your local shop should charge.

Pretty confident that is the problem from your last assessment....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One other thing to check for, it sounds simple, but could be overlooked.
Make sure the nut that holds the yoke onto the front of the output shaft, is in place and tight. If the yoke slid forward on that shaft, it could be just spinning.

One other test you can do if the nut is tight, is with all 4 tires off the ground, take a pry tool and place in the yoke, then turn the front shaft. If the shaft is broken, the rear shaft will not turn. But if it turns, the shaft may not be broken (friction even among broken parts can allow it to turn but not operate under load).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts