Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a easier way to check the oil on an XTZ 1000? I have to remove the seats, remove the engine cover, then remove the 8 torx bolts to remove the plastic drivers seat shield; then I can finally get my arm to the oil fill plug/dipstick. Seems like someone would come up with some type of oil fill tube/dipstick extension so you don't have to disassemble the machine to check the oil...or better yet AC would have designed it better.
On a side note...2.5 quarts with a filter change, not the 3 quarts the manual calls for, brings the oil level right to the full mark.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I sent utvcrap a e-mail asking if they could make one. not heard back yet but whoever makes one would sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yeah this is something I have wanted for a long time. Just an aluminum threaded extension tube that turns right into the hole where the dip stick goes and then on the other end a nice billet aluminum dipstick and handle powder coated the color of your choice. Get er done Johnny!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't know why you guys are complaining, I can get to mine real easy...

:D:D:D

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ZTZ dipstick is at the back left of the engine. It would be like your 650 engine installed backwards.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Before the rebuild on my XTZ, I had cut a hole in the panel under the driver's seat to access the dipstick better. It was still a tight squeeze though. I think the cure would be to install an extension tube with a longer dipstick. Problem is, not sure there would be enough demand for many of the aftermarket manufacturers to build it unless it's priced high.
Maybe Johnny could chime in and say what it would cost to build.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Before the rebuild on my XTZ, I had cut a hole in the panel under the driver's seat to access the dipstick better. It was still a tight squeeze though. I think the cure would be to install an extension tube with a longer dipstick. Problem is, not sure there would be enough demand for many of the aftermarket manufacturers to build it unless it's priced high.
Maybe Johnny could chime in and say what it would cost to build.
Thats the way I think it would work best. I don't have a prob removing the seat to check the oil like the rhino but its a pain to do the cover.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Looks like you have a nice heater too.
Yeah, it's a 240,000btu/hr heater..
Has pretty good AC also... 360AC, 3 openings at 60mph AC that is...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Checking Oil on 1000 XTZ

I'm going to install a 4" inspection cover from West Marine on the inner fender well on my XTZ. It is 6" overall with a screw out cover. The part is a Beckson DP 40-B Deck Plate. You can run your arm through the hole straight to the oil plug. You have to cut out a 4 1/2" hole. Be careful when cutting, there is some wiring on the other side.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a billet machined extention that is threaded and screwed into the existing oil fill hole with an extended dip stick made to the proper length? It would stick out from behind the engine and you can access it by kneeling down and reaching your hand in through the wheel well. If so let's see what kind of interest there is and I can ask Johnny from UTV Inc. if he would make something for us. Post up your ideas on this guys. Where would you like the dip stick to stick out? Sandchris no funny comments! :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
Would anyone be interested in a billet machined extention that is threaded and screwed into the existing oil fill hole with an extended dip stick made to the proper length? It would stick out from behind the engine and you can access it by kneeling down and reaching your hand in through the wheel well. If so let's see what kind of interest there is and I can ask Johnny from UTV Inc. if he would make something for us. Post up your ideas on this guys. Where would you like the dip stick to stick out? Sandchris no funny comments! :D
I'd be interested but I'd rather see it come up under the engine cover by the drivers seat area. This way when checking or cleaning air filter a guy could pull the dipstick also. Plus coming up by the seat there would be less chance of getting dirt and contaminants off of the wheel or wheel wells for the guys that ride mud and snow and such.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd be interested but I'd rather see it come up under the engine cover by the drivers seat area. This way when checking or cleaning air filter a guy could pull the dipstick also. Plus coming up by the seat there would be less chance of getting dirt and contaminants off of the wheel or wheel wells for the guys that ride mud and snow and such.
I'll take one either way but I like this one better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts