Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My 2010 Prowler 1000 gets unbearable heat on the passenger side of the cab. Its when they sit against the dog house the metal in the seat belt buckle can not be touched. This is after I go about 5 miles and it warms up. I did line the inside of the dog house with some reflective sound/heat self stick material. Is this normal or do I have another possible cause for this?
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had the same issue with mine when I had it, After replacing the bed, rear cab panels, seat buckets and dog house 3 times I took the front camshaft and disabled the decompression relief mechanism and it solved the problem as it blows a flame out the exhaust port all the time as the exhaust valve always stayed cracked open on the compression stroke.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I lined my dog house too. But you asked if its normal and I don't think so. The seat belt being to hot to touch isn't normal and my machine was never that warm.

I hadn't heard of problem with the decompression relief but I worry that if you remove it then your going to go through starters frequently. I had to replace a starter at less then a 1000 miles, not impressed with the quality of the replacement starter either.

I would run it without the doghouse on and see if your exhaust is glowing red. Something isn't working as designed and I would find it before you melt or start a fire.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Agree with Firecat, could be a plugged exhaust.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Surprisingly mine started easier and faster with it disabled, on another note spent thousands on head back tubular dual exhausts and still nothing, even power commander V with auto tune and the A/F unit was pulling tons of fuel out as the fuel was not completely burning. You can see the difference with a thermal gun and it was always the front cylinder that melted everything.

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I have no experience at rebuilding engines except for a tractor engine. I decided to pull the engine and try to find out why it runs so hot. The pistons and valves have a lot of carbon (see pic). I checked the exhaust pipes and they were good. I do need to pull the muffler and check it out. What are some of my other options or suggestions? Thanks! BTW, the nuts for the movable drive face and the fixed drive are they CW or CCW to come off?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
LH threads on the primary nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts