Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it was as simple as a bad radiator cap but its not.. funny thing is it only happens when running 50-60mph for extended periods and as soon as you stop the overheat light will come on.. it will just puke coolant out of the overflow and I will have to refill the radiator like 1/4 gallon after I stop.. Not in the oil and not smoking so who knows.. Read the big long post about overheating issues and it seems like a similar problem to mine except mine doesn't overheat unless you are running fast for extended periods.. If I run with slow bikes or trails you can go more than 30 on then its fine.. seems like the cooling system doesn't have enough capacity to cool this engine properly.. if the dealer doesn't find anything I'm gonna make a sheet metal shroud and maybe some type of air dam to deflect air toward the radiator. Hell I may even look into finding a crossflow radiator cuz I dont think this down flow one allows the coolant a chance to cool.. I just hope they find something while its still under warranty.. So far the dealer, Cyclezone, has been awesome to me so I dont think i'll have any issues with them.. I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Brandon

Sorry to hear about your problem. Please let us know if your dealer figures out what the problem is. If you don't get any where with Arctic Cat on this try contacting Brian from Custom Aluminum Radiators he knows his ****. Here is the post I made on another thread.

Ok here is what I have found...

I spoke to Spal today as well as Brian at Custom Aluminum Radiators in Kingman. Spal recommends them for radiators, fans, and shrouds. Spal does not sell shrouds because there are so many fans and size variations it wouldn't be cost effective so they give that to the radiator shops.

Brian from Custom Aluminum Radiators gave me an education on cooling systems and how it all works together in harmony. As far as the shroud goes he doesn't think we need one on this type of fan. I am just telling you what I have been told. I am not saying this is accurate info. Call and discuss this with these guys if you would like. The plastic case that surrounds the fan is sufficient. It has to do with the recycling of air off of the tips of the fan blade and the venturi affect to suck air through the radiator. In some cases the where the fan blades stick out past the plastic housing you would need a shroud. I don’t know if we have a cooling problem with the XTZ 1000 because mine has been good so far. I have not seen ambient temperatures above 90 degrees yet though so time will tell. I know there are a few guys having issues but it seems to be linked to improper head torque or air in the system. Once those two are fixed it has not been a problem as far as I can tell. If someone has the ability to check the return water temperature on their XTZ 1000 and post some numbers that would be a big help in determining if there is a potential overheat problem. Mine is in the shop for the axle issues so I can’t perform any checks. Also shoot the radiator core with a temp gun and make a note of that as well. The radiator seems to be very large compared the 650 and 700 so I have to think the overheat issue is limited. There is a larger fan from Spal that looks as though it would fit in place of the stock one. The stock one is listed on Spal’s site as VA11-AP7/C – 57 A it has a current input max of 9.5 amps and pulls a max 1350 cfm. The one I was looking at as a replacement is Spal VA10-AP50/C – 61 A which has a current input max of 13.6 amps and a max cfm of 2270. I think the XTZ is good for 25 amps max? With lights on and fan at full speed I don’t know if it can handle it. Someone chime in if they can run the numbers and figure this out.

Spal Fans

1-800-345-0327

Custom Aluminum Radiators - Brian

1-928-681-6716

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Brandon, the other thing my dealer told me is that when your engine overheats, the thermostat sticks wide open and has to be closed or replaced manually. So basically if it overheats once, it will keep doing it. I am sure you have a blown head gasket as well. Pretty sure you are gonna want to make sure that oil level does not exceed the LOWEST line on the dipstick. So far that has fixed mine. Mine overheated the first time on a long run where I was at 60+. After that it never really overheated again, just kept puking coolant out the overflow. I had changed my oil before that trip that it acted up. I put in the amount of oil that the manual called for. That didn't account for oil still in the oil cooler etc. So, as a result too much oil and overheating. Mine didn't smoke and had no signs of water in the oil either. Sorry dude, I would say you got a blown head gasket too. Let us know what you find out.......................

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have run the oil at the bottom of the hatch since new.. I am betting it blew the head gasket then and this is all the aftermath of it.. Guess its time to get a coolant testing kit for carbon to see if a head gasket is blown before I take it to the dealer so I can give them a heads up.. Its all starting to make sense.. At least its under warranty still.. Wonder if they will throw a hissy fit about my aftermarket cage and not warranty it..

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I wish we could really find the exact cause of the overheating. I had the same problem exactly as described.

I have done so many modifications I don't really know what the initial cause of the overheating is. i will say that because the symptoms are so similar to mine that it is a factory problem.

The good news is that it can be cured. I don't know exactly what did it but mine ran really well last ride. and no overheating.

The one thing that is critical is to bleed the air out of the top of the engine by the thermostat. After the Pro Shop changed both my head gaskets and thermostat they bleed the air and a bunch came out.

good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer wants me to bring it in on Tuesday and the dealer said on the phone after he spoke with AC that there have not been really any overheating issues reported for the XTZ?!?! I can think of a bunch of people who have had their head gaskets replaced and or are having the same issues as me. Wonder why AC wouldnt share the truth with the dealer? Maybe afraid of a recall situation or???

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
The dealer wants me to bring it in on Tuesday and the dealer said on the phone after he spoke with AC that there have not been really any overheating issues reported for the XTZ?!?! I can think of a bunch of people who have had their head gaskets replaced and or are having the same issues as me. Wonder why AC wouldnt share the truth with the dealer? Maybe afraid of a recall situation or???

maybe you can get them to read this forum, if you get an e-mail address we can e-mail them the link to the multiple overheating threads. I am not being sarcastic, It might help them diagnose issues some of the XTZ's are having.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took my XTZ in for the same thing last week. It would overheat regardless of ambient temp. They said that it definitely has blown head gasket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know it wont fix the already blown head gaskets, but i do run a water wetter in the coolant of mine and it has seemed to help. When I first got it I noticed how fast it would get warm and had some Redline water wetter left over from my Banshee days and poured that in. I do not have data to back it up, but just from my experiance in the machine it has helped. Some of the manufacturers of the product claim it reduces temps from 10 to 20 degrees. You may already run it but, I thought it would be a good prevenetive maintenance if you guys don't.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Temp gauge

I am adding a water temp gauge so I can keep a eye on mine. The light just don't get it done for me.
DON~~~

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it to the dealer today and I was showing the AC mechanic the little chunks of carbon in the coolant and the thing hadn't even been running 30 secs and I popped the raditor cap and it blew cold coolant out all over the place so now for sure its a leaking head gasket.. They said they will show me the parts they replace and I will take some pics of the failed gaskets for all of you..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fan

Sometimes if a fan comes on at high speeds it will slow the air down. Could this be happening? With a guage I can monitor it.
DON~~~

·
Registered
10 Posts
my dads xtz was over heating and keep blowing fuses. the fan relay was bad changed it out with neutral start relay and it apperes to have fixed it

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got off the phone with the dealer and my front head gasket was blown.. He said the front had 80psi compression and the rear about 150psi... I hope the rear is actually gonna last! I wonder why the front blew and not the rear.. Oh well I pick it up tomorrow!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a pic of the head gasket that was replaced.. They are a MLS gasket that you would think would be pretty tough..You can see where the carbon started to get through the layers.. Hopefully it lasts this time!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts