Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using? The manual calls for a 5W-50 synthetic but I can't seem to find any at any of my local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You must use Arctic Cat ACX synthetic oil which was created with the 1000 motor in mind. Don't use oils from auto parts stores because most of those are not wet clutch certified and that is absolutely neccessary for any ATV engine that has a wet clutch and the XTZ engine does have a wet clutch.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It just stinks that you have to change it every 300 miles

·
Registered
39 Posts
We use AMSOIL in our units. Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil, wet clutch approved. We race our units almost all year without changing the oil (if we don't have to!) and it's test proven. Just keeping an eye on things. The viscosity break down is great. Hope this might help!!!!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
We use AMSOIL in our units. Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil, wet clutch approved. We race our units almost all year without changing the oil (if we don't have to!) and it's test proven. Just keeping an eye on things. The viscosity break down is great. Hope this might help!!!!
Im a Amsoil Dealer Just dont know what arctic cat will do if there is a failure

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below, is a quote out of the manual. The last sentence tells me I don't have to. What's funny is that when I first started researching this I called my AC dealer. The parts dude said, "oil is oil, just use any synthetic."

"The recommended oil to use is Arctic Cat ACX All
Weather synthetic engine oil, which has been specifically
formulated for use in this Arctic Cat engine.
Although Arctic Cat ACX All Weather synthetic
engine oil is the only oil recommended for use in this
engine, use of any API certified SM 5W-50 oil is
acceptable."

The only AC dealer is 45 minutes from my house. That's why I'm asking what you guys are using. Just wanted to see if I could get something closer to my house that would work.​

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Below, is a quote out of the manual. The last sentence tells me I don't have to. What's funny is that when I first started researching this I called my AC dealer. The parts dude said, "oil is oil, just use any synthetic."

"The recommended oil to use is Arctic Cat ACX All
Weather synthetic engine oil, which has been specifically
formulated for use in this Arctic Cat engine.
Although Arctic Cat ACX All Weather synthetic
engine oil is the only oil recommended for use in this
engine, use of any API certified SM 5W-50 oil is
acceptable."

The only AC dealer is 45 minutes from my house. That's why I'm asking what you guys are using. Just wanted to see if I could get something closer to my house that would work.​

Amsoil does not make any 5w50 oil

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call me old school but for peace of mind I use Arctic Cat oil in my 650. AC puts alot of $$$ in R&D and the your not talking about saving big bucks on an aftermarket oil. Thats my 2 cents.
I'm not trying to save money on the oil. It's the 1.5 hours of drivetime that I'm trying to save on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I totally understand. I would still run the AC oil.
Chance is that your machine in the Crown King trip pictures.
It might be. I've had it up to CK a couple times now. I took a few pics of it in the snow one trip and then about a month ago we did the back side. I don't think I posted any of those pics though.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
It might be. I've had it up to CK a couple times now. I took a few pics of it in the snow one trip and then about a month ago we did the back side. I don't think I posted any of those pics though.
I was taking some pics of a creek crossing while a bunch of UTV's crossed over the rocks and this XTZ came through and someone yelled go Chance. I only assumed it may be you. Take a look

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just saw your thread. Yep, that's my son and me! Too bad I didn't read that you were going then. We had a pretty large group. 14 UTV's. We went up and camped out in the pines and then came down on Sunday. It was a good trip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone use the Red-line 10-40 motor cycle oil, wet clutch approved? Not sure if anyone has looked up the Wix oil filter or not, here is the Wix #57937 if your interested.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used a AMSOIL 20W-50, and as soon as I did my oil change, I noticed a difference in my clutching. It says it is wet clutch approved, but in high gear it wouldn't engage properly and my 1000 felt like a 500. In low was the same thing but it would engage sooner, but still felt gutless. Now I use Yamalube and it is right back to normal. Never again will I usde AMSOIL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry that AMSOIL didn't work out for you. We have had GREAT LUCK w/ it. We have never used anything over 10w-40. The 20w-50 might have been to much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, crap! I took the time to go in the garage tonight, drained the oil, changed the filter and then read the paper enclosed with the oil change kit. The 1000 takes 2.6 quarts!!! I only have two and my dealer is an hour away. There are other dealers about 45 minutes away but come on......

Ah, the day I bought it, I was in a hurry, the dealer had just closed and he was pretty sure two quarts would do it. My wife reminded me that I said, "I should grab an extra quart or two just in case.....," but got side tracked swapping stories....

There's a buddy of mine down the street that doesn't have any dealerships but repairs ATVs and carries a lot of atv stuff. I'll check with him but I doubt he'll have it.

Now, I have a Prowler sitting in my garage with 2 quarts of oil in it:rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh well, can't ride until the weekend anyway......

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are using Shell Rottela T5. Its a 0W40 full synthetic that is Transmission and hydraulic approved. Haven't ran it much but the clutch packs all seem to be working properly.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used 10w-50 full synthic from Lucas. Never ever had a problem. But I do drop the oil more often than they say. The wet clutch makes the oil dirty fast. I change my oil every 16 or so hours. May cost a bit more but will save me in the long run. In the winter I run 0-40 and in the summer 10w-50. Keep insurance

1 - 20 of 29 Posts