Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have yet to race a stock XTZ and I dont claim to have something special. However a few people have seen my machine run and have asked a few questions and I hope this answers them. I have done a lot of work to my machine and I believe the results have been very good however I have no experience in how a stock XTZ runs because the only time I have in a stock one was at around 9000ft elivation and I cant compare that to performance in the dunes which is way different terrain and under 1000ft I believe.
That being said these are the findings I have found in testing:
First time I took it to the dunes for testing I was running the Full Muzzy exhaust a PC-V powercommander and I have a custom intake consisting of a pair of stock 1000 throttle boddies adapted individually to the stock intake manifolds that I ported to match the flow of the throttle boddies. and to finish off the setup I have just a pair of uni filters mounted directly to the tb's. I thought that the machine was strong but in high gear I found quickly that I was just not getting the rpm I needed to pull the large hills at the speeds I wanted, however in low gear the car felt much better at the hill. In Low gear the car would rev to around 7200-7300 climbing Freeway hill at Gordons well and man it felt very strong I could tell that with these engine upgrades to fully max there potential this thing needs to rev because it ran up the hill much faster than in High gear which would only rev to around 5200 rpm up the hill.
The second time out I installed a speedwerx clutch kit which consist of 20g rollers and I installed the two spacers for the primary clutch and reclocked the secondary to B-4. Wow what a difference this time testing was at Glamis and I could instantly feel the lower gearing and was now running Oldsmobile hill at between 6000 to 6500 rpm and it pulled much faster and would launch very hard.
Over halloween weekend I was again at Gordons but this time I had the clutch near perfect as I had installed even lighter 15g rollers and at the drags it would run around 7300 rpm and up freeway hill I would run about 7000 rpm.

I hope this helps anyone out there that is looking for ideas to mod there machine. My machine is far from being done my next mod will be the Dynatek ignition as soon as it comes out then we can see how much power this setup has to offer then it will be cams and the limits are endless but I have heard some interest in my setup so I figured I would share what I have incase anyone cares.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i know that Phatcat runs a similar setup, although he hasnt been around in a while (least i havent seen him). Are you runnning xtz1000 throttle bodies or the 700's? Whats the cost of the throttle body and how hard was the throttle cable to synch up? I am thinking of either this setup or the turbo if i can twist sandchris' arm into fitting me into his busy schedule in the near future..may be easier to go turbo route and drop the compression...i bet you could run 8psi pretty easy for longeivity. Split

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same setup, do you have any photos of the intake set-up that you could post?
I know that Jim Creagan from Bipolar Racing mentioned that you could get some good gains running two 700 throttle bodies also, but it sounds like the 1000 bodies aren't overkill.
Thanks for being a testbed for the rest of us.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds like you have some good things going for you there. Glad to here the parts are working out for you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Now thats some good info. I like the dual throttle bodys.

·
Registered
682 Posts
ok a question for sandchris. What do you think of this set up. Cost versus hp gains and dependability,the hair dryer or the tb's

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I think what Andy has done is great. He is getting in my opinion 75 hp at the rear tire I would guess. And I can't believe that it would be any less reliable than a stocker. If anything it should be more happy seeing how it is breathing better. I would like to explain or give examples of what you are doing with a turbo engine. Normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi. So at 14.7 psi the engine will inhale a certain amount of air and fuel and put it to work. Most factory engines are not very efficient at best. In other words they can do alot better with some help. Mods such as better air flow and exhaust helps in this area. And of course bigger camshafts more compression etc all get the engine more efficient. But think about this for a second. If you introduce more pressure on top of the 14.7 I brought up before like say 7.5 pounds on top of the 14.7 normal atmosphere. Now the engine will think it is 50 percent larger than it is. So in other words a 950 engine with 7.5 pounds of positive manifold pressure or boost now is doing the same amount of air pumping or work that a 1425 cc engine would. So the engine thinks it is a 1425 v twin. I will leave the rest to your imagination.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Of course there are other things to think about. You can't just zip tie a turbo in and call it good. You can't have bad plumbing and expect the world. You have got to be responsible with a turbo motor or any high performance motor for that matter. The maintenance has got be kept up. Oil changes, air cleaner valve adjustments etc. I honestly don't feel like the turbo motor is anymore work than a stocker.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Johnny sorry to do this do you. But the mpi intercooler set that he is running is a fail. And that is what I am talking about when I talk about plumbing. The intercooler is probably making more heat into the intake and thus not getting as dense as a intake charge as it could. I would bet 100.00 dollars that if the inter cooler was out of the engine compartment that there is 10-20 hp on a dyno at 90 degrees out side.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Another thing to point out is that Andy is getting better performance with a lighter weight which is in effect giving him a lower gear ratio or slower upshift. A turbo cvt engine goes the opposite. You add more weight to up shift faster and effectively can run a higher gear ratio in the cvt because you have the torque and horse power to. And that is a faster set up. Sorry Andy not taking anything away from what you are acoplishing just trying to explain the best I can.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So Andy can we see pics of that dual throttle body setup yet?

·
Registered
861 Posts
What happened Andy? Pix? Is the setup final now? lets hear an update?:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Any new news on the dual throttle bodys? pics?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts