Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new prowler 1000 and took it out for the first time this weekend with a couple of friends with rzr s models and I must say I am a bit dissapointed I read all over these xtz are making 58-60whp and we raced each other many times through the weekend and every time he would get me by a couple feet of the 0-30 and I would only pull and pass him by a couple feet after 1/2 mile or more we were dead even overall what is the deal I thought these 1000 were suposed to be way faster than any other stock machine out there. Both vehicles were bone stock what is the deal was I expecting too much

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably a traction issue.. were you launching in 4wd or 2wd? If you really wanna jump him off the line use 4wd and you should pull hard on him.. I havent found anything else stock that can even come close to keeping up with the XTZ.. Maybe you blew a head gasket just like the first time I took mine out :eek: highly unlikely though..

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
That is the first time i have heard 58-60 rwhp.Everything else i have heard was 52-53 rwhp.Dyno's are all different though.
How much weight did you have in it?
How much weight did they have in theirs?
How many hours on theirs?
How many hours on yours?
Some people think the xtz runs better when it is broke in.Some say the other way around.I would think once you get about 20 gals of gas through it it should run noticeably better.
And like Brandon said how bout the traction?
Where you being nice and waiting for them to jump first?
There are a few rzr's that run noticeably better for some reason.Hard to believe that both your buddies ended up with them but anything is possible.
And if all else fails....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we both had about equal weight added 2 people per vehicle if anything rzr had more added weight
as far as traction we were both in 2wd and both spun about the same
as far as launch goes we are both good drivers raced motocross together many years
for time on vehicle they both have about 400-500 miles ( I bought a demo unit from dealer.
My cat ran good I thought but I expected way more power than what it has. Top speed was good around 70 on flat but low end was not impresive
even if hp is 52+ I thought that is still way more than any others how much is the rzr putting out

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
My XTZ was way faster than the 08 Rzr. Tim aka Glamispilot has one of the faster model rzr s like Chris mentioned,, and my xtz was faster and so was Johnny's

Your XTz should spank a Rzr pretty good..

Now the new 09 Rzr that is out beat the Red Line in every test, so I think the 09 Rzr is faster than the 08.

And ya a blown head gasket could be the problem, the xtz will still run ok, just a lot slower, and I blew mine right out of the factory after the 1st couple of hours. look at your over flow, is it spitting water.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not looked at the overflow will it be full or what am I looking for?
As for how fast the 09 is another guy is with us with stock 08 rzr with a couple small clutch mods and they are pretty close

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I have not looked at the overflow will it be full or what am I looking for?
As for how fast the 09 is another guy is with us with stock 08 rzr with a couple small clutch mods and they are pretty close

Look for the overflow to be spitting on the frame, passenger side, inside of the front tire.

check your tire pressure also, sorry for the obvious, but it does make a difference.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look for the coolant but tire presure was 15 and this seems like a minor diffence how close should it be in a race of say 200yd
should my prowler win by 1ft or 50ft

·
Registered
142 Posts
I run my stock tires at 10PSI max that may be your issue.. air them down to 8-10 and try again.. If your head gasket is blown you will see coolant all over the front steering under the reservoir or your exhaust will smell really sweet.. If you really wanna check the head gasket goto napa and get a block test kit for ~$50..

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
You should pull him right away by a couple car lengths at 200 yards maybe more. The torq should put you a car length ahead pretty quick.

I really only raced Rzrs up Olds hill in Glamis and it was never really close when my xtz was running right. There are so many variables. When my xtz was running at its best i could do a loop around the guys in the rzr who would pick the race with me..lol true story.

minimise your weight as much as possible, huge power to weight factors with these utv...

I think the real answer is the Rzr's are fast also, the rzr and the Red line are the only rides that can even hang with the xtz. There are so many sxs out there that are really very close in performance. The Teryx is a runner also! I guess this is why there are so many aftermarket upgrades out there.

You may only be a little bit faster than everyone else stock, and i would of expected more also. All the rotax's builds are coming and we havent even seen the Can Am 1000 yet...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Ah 5000 feet will make a huge difference in clutching.And happy jack is closer to 7000 feet up on the rim.Race them closer to sea level and you will have much different results.70 mph makes sense now even with two people in it.Most guys are seeing 75 even with to people.And those minor clutch mods they have will make a huge difference.Especially at elevation.The clutch mods are better than a lot of other boltons.Get them down here and you should fair much better.
we were at happy jack north of payson probably around 5000ft or so

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah now that you say that the rzr s it had stock clutching but it did seem to be far better matched than mine I forgot that elevation changes clutch tuning can any one explain why

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have raced a couple RZR S models and one beat me everytime. He said he was stock and it was just faster than most. The others I raced, I beat pretty soundly. There is a bone stock RZR in our camp that is also just as fast as my Prowler. He also smokes all other RZRs though. Its weird how different these things run. You line up 10 of these XTZs and they will vary quite a bit from first to last. For the record, I think mine ran by far the best my first trip out. Since I got the head gaskets replaced it clearly is not as quick, although it still does 80MPH..............

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
These factories have to try and find the happy median for some one that is in say montana and for someone in az.So they come up with the best clutching for a reasonable price they can.
When you go up in elevation the reason performance of the clutch is important is because engine performance is down.So the clutch needs to up shift a little slower.If it upshifts to quickly it tends to not keep the engine in it's peak hp range.And the peak hp range is the great thing about the cvt.From what i understand you want the engine to be able to up shift as fast as it can at the peak hp.When it does this you get that good seat of the pants feeling.Generaly people take weight out for elevation so that it does not upshift so fast because the motor just does not have the air to pull as much upshift.Less weight equalls less centfrical force on the clutch sheeve equalls less up shift and easier revving of the motor.Another thing to consider is the primary spring.More tuning right there.And then of course the secondary and the secondary helix.And of course belt pressure.Don't have my arms around belt pressure yet but hopefully soon.
I am just learning all this stuff myself and just starting to make sense of it.
yeah now that you say that the rzr s it had stock clutching but it did seem to be far better matched than mine I forgot that elevation changes clutch tuning can any one explain why

·
Registered
294 Posts
You may think that your wheel spin is the same but I would bet he is getting traction a lot sooner than you are.

·
Registered
33 Posts
when i first got my xtz i didn't think either of my buddy's rzrs would touch it.....

first night out, we jumped out on the street and i just walked off from him, BADLY......however, he was 30 yards or so behind me and i know i jumped on it way before he did.....i was after my buddy on his 660 raptor to see how i faired.......i watched him in the rear view mirror get farther and farther behind.....but, in fairness, he was banging his 55mph limiter as i cruised on up to 74 that night carrying a passenger.....little bit down hill too......

later that night we lined up my xtz against another buddy's 800 outlander but it was a setup race.......i lanched in low range and let off at 45 and so did he...so we were just about dead even but he was just slightly faster in a 100yd dash......we wanted to scare the crap out of the buddy with the rzr (he doesn't like to lose and is windy) so it looked like the xtz was smokin' fast! so i pulled off from him really hard and he saw me do a low range launch against what he knew was a fast 800.......he wouldn't race me.....wouldn't even talk about it or laughingly try it....it's just how he is...heck, when i had a 400ex and everyone had hot banshees, 660 raptor and 250r's i'd still race just to see how they ran.....buy anyway.....so i didn't get to find out how a rzr would run against a xtz....both stock except the rzr had a filter and larger than stock tires....

my other buddy had a bone stock except for stock sized tires and after market rims.....we never got a chance to really line them up in a drag (we went head to head in the trails for about an hour) but in a few open field with pretty long grades they seemed dead even to me and we were both shocked.....he had driven my xtz and just knew i'd spank him....i thought i would too.......we switched off and i kept telling him that i think they are about even.....he didn't think so but in that long gradual up hill run i couldn't pull him and visa versa.....

who knows???

oh, and that other buddy that wouldn't run me, sold his rzr 2 days later:rolleyes::D and bought an 800 outlander.....that's alright, i've got a 700 raptor for him:D (yeah, they are close, i know but i have a few extra helpers under the hood)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.